Sign in to follow this  
gtech

Leather link belt or straps?

Hi there,

I have not been very active on the forum yet by lack of time, but I hope to be able to change that soon.

Today I received a guitar strap I ordered from Ebay, and it is a 2.5" wide leather link belt. I always liked that kind of leather work and I would like to experiment with that to make bracelets, belts and more. I will also make a couple of guitar straps based on that design too.

Now, I tried to find some info about the leather links and found nothing yet. Do any of you know where I could have more info, like design ideas, how to cut the links, where to buy some already made links, etc...

Here is an example of what I mean.

6376_1.JPG

NC7904Cl.jpg

Any suggestion is welcome,

Thanks

Edited by gtech

GTECH. HELLO.whether a craft store , like michaels or hobby lobby sells the belt kit i do not know.

you might check some of the tandy stores also to see if they sell the belt kit.

since you have the guitar strap take it apart and photocopy a belt link and have weaver to make you a cutting die . then you can make all the links you would like.

GTECH. HELLO.whether a craft store , like michaels or hobby lobby sells the belt kit i do not know.

you might check some of the tandy stores also to see if they sell the belt kit.

since you have the guitar strap take it apart and photocopy a belt link and have weaver to make you a cutting die . then you can make all the links you would like.

Well, that's what I will do to make another guitar strap like the one I have, but I also saw some smaller men belts made with a double row of links. So it's these other designs that I would like to learn to do.

Added: Ok, I found a leather link belt kit on Tandy site and order one. That's a start...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/de...s/42064-01.aspx

Edited by gtech

I make link key fobs, using this design.

13_12_2008_6_43_30_PM.jpg

S6000523.JPG

post-7179-1235880254_thumb.jpg

post-7179-1235880435_thumb.jpg

Cool... That's the kind of ideas I was looking for...

This morning, I bought a Tandy kit locally to make a link belt like the one I ordered a few days ago. So I began to play with it. But what I like from your design is that the links are simpler to make. I still have to figure how to assemble them together though... :head_hurts_kr:

Thanks...

Added: Ok, I think I got it. You are also using a lacing to hold everything together.

Btw, were you able to have a die/punch made for that? I just found your thread... http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...pic=6942&hl

Edited by gtech