LoyalNine

What Leather Do I Use Question?

Admittedly I am very new to this leathworking thing. I wanted to make a radio strap for my own use and am a bit confused on what to use for leather. I have only ever worked with tooling leather so far. The radio strap and radio holder case is a pretty common piece of equipment for firefighters and the ones we have at work are well.. not mine and I thought Id try to make my own.

Should I use purchase a back and cut strips or should I use harness or bridal leather? If I was to use bridal leather its already dyed black. Are you still able to crease grooves into it for a finished look? When I cut it does the color go all teh way through or do I have to dress the edges? and on the topic of edges do they burnish as well as a piece of Veg tanned leather? If I dye and use a good sealant will veg tanned hold up like bridal leather will?

Sorry for all the questions... I have looked for answers but an getting more and more confused and was going to place and order with springfield leather and didnt want to waste my money.

Thanks All in advance for any helpful response.

-