Sam

Need Help with First Holster

Hi Folks,

I am working on my first holster and am wondering what type of finish/sealer to use on a holster. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

There's nearly as many answers to that as there are holstermakers!!!

Among the most popular results: Resolene, tan-kote, bag-kote, neatsfoot oil, snowseal, montana pitch blend, BeeNatural RTC, SuperSheen/Satinsheen, TuffCoat, leatherbalm w/ atom wax, and the quickly disappearing Neat-lac. And we musn't forget vinegaroon (search that term for several pages worth of info)

There's a ton of information on here about nearly all of them, and if you don't see it under "holsters....", check out the subforum for "dyes, stains, glues....finishes, waxes, and conditioners".

Please also consider the method of application- airbrushing a finish has turned up some really nice results; so has dipping the entire holster and letting it drip dry.

Personally, for black holsters I like the vinegaroon. For anything else, I like a good conditioner followed by sprayed on resolene.

I'll second the motion by shorts, . . . resolene.

If you don't have the equipment for spraying, . . . put some in a pint jar, mix it with an equal amount of luke warm water, . . . shake it well, . . . get a small, cheap, horsehair brush and go for it.

You want to be sure there is no more "leatherwork" to be done, . . . but keep buckles, and stuff off for now.

Saturate the whole project, . . . front, back, left, right, top, bottom, inside, outside, straps, . . . the whole 11 yards. Then go back immediately with a lighter layer, . . . brushing right and left & up and down. You want to make almost a froth on the project, . . . then keep brushing till the froth is basically gone.

Hang it in the sun, . . . or another "warm" place. YOU DO NOT WANT A HOT PLACE, . . . just "warm" if available.

If you aren't satisfied with the first coat, . . . do it again, . . . same process.

May God bless,

Dwight

Also note, I just got done spraying a project with full strength resolene and didn't stop spraying until I saw a light cream colored film on the leather. It's been over 48 hours and it still feels a little tacky. I may have used too much - so go in light coats if you spray.

Without hijacking this thread, anyone know how to remedy this?

The 1st holster I did in resoline for my wife. I brushed it on and it had that tacky feel you describe. It went away after 3-4 days. Now I airbrush it in light passes. I have only had one problem with streaking doing that, but I used too much and it was a little cold. The rest have turned out perfectly.

Temperature - of course. It has been a little chilly in the shop ;) .

So, Sam, be cautious of temperature when using resolene, as well. It's a great looking/working sealer.

(Thanks, Twosons)