Gregspitz

Skipped Stitch Due To Contact Cement Not Dry?

was making a watch strap kind of in a hurry (should not do that!) last night and my techsew 2750 pro skipped one stitch.

never happened before same leather horween and 69 bonded nylon with a 16 needle..but I probably did not let the contact cement dry enough prior to sewing...anyone else have that happen or am I off???

no tragedy..I pulled the stitch and retraced the holes and amazingly the machine did a great job fixing it and followed the holes exactly using the laser guide..AA160F82-463D-48A5-81A6-D2D55E1EFF7A.jpg

Yes, tacky cement can cause skipped stitches. Ditto for Venture leather tape. Since I use the tape a lot, I switched to titanium coated needles on both patchers and on my long body Singer 139 walking foot machine. Unfortunately, there aren't any available for the big 441 clones yet.

You may be able to compensate by using lubricated thread.

thanks so much...I won't make that mistake again..

have a great holiday

I have had problems with that too. I had to start being more patient, which is pretty tough to do.

Are there other scenarios that would cause skipped stitches?

To much cement?

or others that one should be aware of?

I am just learning my machine

Are there other scenarios that would cause skipped stitches?

To much cement?

or others that one should be aware of?

I am just learning my machine

Oh yes, there are several!

F.I.: too much space between hook tip + needle scarf, broken / worn hook tip (at last the same problem), needles not insert correctly, needle / hook timing is off, wrong needle system, needle bar too high or too low (thats more or less the timing), too thick needle for the thread (loop will not form properly), needle is deflected by the needle deflector... These are all reasons why the hook can probably not catch the loop. Or sometimes even a combination of two reasons.

Thanks.

I knew that I knew nothing about sewing with a sewing machine when I ordered it.........and after having it a week or two I realize how much more I do not know than I thought.

Learning as we go

It will take some time to become one with the machine! Try to enjoy the ride.

Yes, glue in the stitch line will cause dropped stitches, there are some better glues available, so I hear from saddlers, better they tell you though than me... Otherwise keep the glue out of the stitch line if poss, it doesn't do the machine a lot of good either. regards Steve