Red Cent

Sailrite Sewing Machine

I don't think I have ever read on this site about anyone having a Sailrite Sewing machine. We have one that does a super job on canvas and other like materials. It handles medium to light leather tasks with aplomb and runs well. Who has a Sailrite?

I don't have a Sailrite but I love their website. Very informative and lots of how- to videos.

I bought a Sailrite LSZ 3years ago and it did a good job on leather up to 6-7 oz. The problems with thicker leather is the tension is released when the presser foot is raised to 2.5 mm and without the tension the stitches go away, into birds nests and missed stitches and the locking stitch is missed. I tried for 3 years to play with presser foot tension and top thread tension but no dice on anything over 6.5 ounces. I have beat lymphoma twice and did not want to confine my work to thin leathers or hand stitching which I did until the 2nd cancer, I felt I was running out of time to get 'er done. I still use the Sailrite for lightweight sewing and it does a beautiful job with zippers and bag straps. It has real limitations with sewing straps to d-rings and other hardware. Can't get close enough to the hardware with the available foot selection. So long story short I bought a Cobra4-P from Steve at the Leather Machine CO. He is truly one of the best human beings on this or any planet. He went out of his way to get me what I needed not what he could have sold me. His help and service from his company is beyond superb. The Cobra will do it all, all you need to do is understand the tension functions, presser foot tension and how to use the cylinder arm.

I have not a bad word for the Sailrite and consider it the best portable light weight machine for the money. And it did all I asked within its capabilities. It sews straight, flawless seams with #92 or sometimes #138 thread on 6 ounce or thinner leather, either veg tanned or chrome. It just has limitations that I should have researched better three years ago.

The sailrite is a great machine for sewing light material but it is based on a domestic machine body.

For small, light work it is fine but from my own experience with imported machines from Taiwan I really don't see a lot of point for the cost.

Harold, Which of the "Sailrite" machines do you have? I see some share presser feet with the consew 206 series machines too.

Bro Tim

The plate reads:

Ultra Feed Zigzag

M# LSZ-1

Harold, Which of the "Sailrite" machines do you have? I see some share presser feet with the consew 206 series machines too.

Bro Tim

The Sailrite and other similar portable walking foot machines do not use the same feet as the Consew 206RB series. Rather, they use the feet as the CP206R

Wiz, et all, I'm sure in my reading zeal I mis-understood the web page. It wouldn't be the first time I read something and thought/ understood something entirely different!!!

I like the idea of the sailrite machines, I could see myself with one as a reserve machine.

If you need a portable machine for canvas or light leatherwork (at a pinch) then the LSZ style is one of the limited types out there but for the same money you could pick up a Consew 206RB or a whole bunch of better second hand cylinder or flat bed machines.

Wiz, et all, I'm sure in my reading zeal I mis-understood the web page. It wouldn't be the first time I read something and thought/ understood something entirely different!!!

I like the idea of the sailrite machines, I could see myself with one as a reserve machine.

Well I really don't "need" a sailrite. In reality, I would like to have a class 18 or maybe a 29k style as well to have as an accompanying machine for my class 4 cobra. They wouldn't have enough usage to pay for a new one. But, in those times when it would be the best tool for the job, it's a shame not to have it.

Bro. Tim

Is there a machine similar to the Consew 206RB that also can do zigzag stitching?

http://www.consew.com/List/Lockstitch-Sewing/Zig-Zag

Right. I guess I didn't state my question right. I know how to find which models they make that have zigzag.

My question was which one of all those is closest in form and function to the 206RB.

We do some canvas work including the boat stuff, motorcycle garment repair, and anything in the light to medium category. We have the "normal" fabric machines, and we have the Cobra 4. Kinda got the bases covered.

The Consew 146RB has a walking foot & zig-zag.

The Consew 146RB has a walking foot & zig-zag.

Thank you for taking time to read and answer my question, CowboyBob.

I don't think I have ever read on this site about anyone having a Sailrite Sewing machine. We have one that does a super job on canvas and other like materials. It handles medium to light leather tasks with aplomb and runs well. Who has a Sailrite?

Hey Redcent,

I have the LS1, It runs well the only thing I dont like is the presser foot. It has very rough grooves and marks your leather, even with the leather presser foot I have to backed the presser tension all the way out.

Edited by ReneeJ

Sailrite/Thompson PW-301 here. Bought a spare presser feed foot and ground and polished the teeth about half way off; then knocked the sharp edges off the feed dogs with a diamond file and it does great on chrome but you have to watch the presser foot pressure on veg tan.

But seriously, once you've dressed a new LS(x) up with everything you need to do leather you've pretty much paid for a decent table machine. So unless you need the portability of a carry around machine do your homework.

I got the Thompson 301 because:

1. NOS (originally sold in 1997 never used)

2. Didn't think I had room for another bench/sewing table (some creative reorganizing proved that wrong)

3. Great price for a fully decked out machine (Monster Wheel, base and binder attachment, all I've added is a spare foot and a thread stand)

I will say this; it's a good beginner leather machine. If you've never used a sewing machine nor sewn leather on a machine you can't go more simply. They're like your first swivel knife... if you stick with it... you're gonna get a better one!

Edited by Ole South