ThomasK

Colouring Afte Hairblade Was Used

Hi Folks,

I Need some help.

I carved and tooled a dog. I used a hairblade after all the other work was done.

After drying I use Fiebings prof. Oildye for coloring the dog.

In the hairblade cuts the Color was very intense. Where it was beveled, or Areas where used a modelling tool it has hardly accepted color........... It Looks horrible.

Are there other Colors which Color uniform, or will the Problem be the same?

Unfortunately I have no camera at the Moment and can not Show you the Picture of Horror, perhaps just as well for your eyes ( less pain)

Greetings

Thomas

Any dye will act a bit like that. Tooled areas are compressed, which can restrict the dye pentetration a bit. On the other hand, the hair blade - as you know - gives it a bunch of grooves the dye can crawl in. Put the two side by side and it looks even worse than it is.

So, no, a different dye is no so much the issue as a different technique. Less, or more. Light, or heavy. You just need to get used to not doing it all the same way.

I have always gotten uneven results when using dyes, stains or antiques over a texture created with a hair blade. I've found the best way to color something with a hair texture is by using acrylic paints (watered down, layered on to build up colors).

Hi Folks,

I Need some help.

I suggest you get some of Al Stohlmans books on figure carving and/or dyeing where he covers the dry brush technique. Study them and try that approach out.