David

Starting a new seat

I started a new one this weekend for one of our returning local heros.

He is starting a '48 panhead bobber project, that should look pretty sweet when done.

Donny Loos is rebuilding the engine so it should run real good.

Todays Pics enclosed

David Theobald

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

post-5652-1238297906_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238297922_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238297931_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238297943_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238297952_thumb.jpg

That's going to be a nice seat, can't wait to see it finished.

Very nice David!!!

Clean and smooth carving!!!

Tom

Nice and smooth Dave.

I can´t wait to see it´s done.

That's a seat this ex-Marine approves of. :) Semper Fi!

looking good David!

Looks like anuther winner comin up :0)

Can I ask what blades you use to do the tight curves you get on your carvings David? I'm just starting to pick up different blades for different aspects of carving (hollow ground for long straight cuts, angled blades for tighter turns on lettering etc to alleviate the wrinkles in the leather as I turn a bend etc.)

Thanks in advance - always love seeing your seats come along - good incentive for raising my personal bar ;0)

Rob

Great job, you actually cut and beveled the rope border.

Cant wait to see it done.

Lui

Looks like anuther winner comin up :0)

Can I ask what blades you use to do the tight curves you get on your carvings David? I'm just starting to pick up different blades for different aspects of carving (hollow ground for long straight cuts, angled blades for tighter turns on lettering etc to alleviate the wrinkles in the leather as I turn a bend etc.)

Thanks in advance - always love seeing your seats come along - good incentive for raising my personal bar ;0)

Rob

Hey Rob,

I do all my cutting with a 3/16" angle cut blade sold by Tandy. If I'm doing finger cutting I use a !/4" Ruby blade.

Thanks for taking a look at my post.

Dave Theobald

Exxxxxcellent - I've just started using a 3/16 angle and am impressed with how much cleaner and easier it is than the "axe" (as my tandy guy calls em ;0) was that came in the knife

Here is where we stand today.

It should begin to come together quickly now.

Dave Theobald

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

post-5652-1238545029_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238545038_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238545050_thumb.jpg

Here is where we stand today.

It should begin to come together quickly now.

Dave Theobald

thats sure looks really cool david

Absolutely crazy swivelknife skills David! I hope to be as good as you are one day!

Here is today's progress. I preped the seat pan, riveted the seat back to the pan, attached padding and tied the seat front to the seat back and started a bit of the lacing.

I have a short working night tonight, so I may not post tomorrow.

Dave Theobald

DSC_01.JPG

DSC_02.JPG

post-5652-1238717345_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238717363_thumb.jpg

David-

I am always impressed by your work, you are an inspiration, man! I have a question for you...when you are lacing, not basket weave, but let's say tripple loop, what tips/tricks do you have for keeping the lace from turning on you? I've just started lacing and am tripple loop lacing a seat together...long story short, I have a few that have turned on me. Any lacing tips you may have would be greately appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

David-

I am always impressed by your work, you are an inspiration, man! I have a question for you...when you are lacing, not basket weave, but let's say tripple loop, what tips/tricks do you have for keeping the lace from turning on you? I've just started lacing and am tripple loop lacing a seat together...long story short, I have a few that have turned on me. Any lacing tips you may have would be greately appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

Hey Gary,

Thanks for taking a look at the USMC seat.

When I am lacing I use short pieces of lace.... about 3 ft. They are much easier to handle. I pull every inch of lace through my fingers on each stitch to make sure it hasn't twisted. Then I hold my thumbnail FIRMLY up against the lace where it enters the hole, thus preventing it from twisting as it goes through the holes. This is probably the reason that I spend so much time lacing.

Well, that and the fact that I don't use a needle....I just cut my lace to a point and fish it through the holes. The lacing on my seats is pulled very tight, which is another reason I don't use a needle.

Dave Theobald

Hey Gary,

Thanks for taking a look at the USMC seat.

When I am lacing I use short pieces of lace.... about 3 ft. They are much easier to handle. I pull every inch of lace through my fingers on each stitch to make sure it hasn't twisted. Then I hold my thumbnail FIRMLY up against the lace where it enters the hole, thus preventing it from twisting as it goes through the holes. This is probably the reason that I spend so much time lacing.

Well, that and the fact that I don't use a needle....I just cut my lace to a point and fish it through the holes. The lacing on my seats is pulled very tight, which is another reason I don't use a needle.

Dave Theobald

Thanks Dave, awesome information! You answered my next question, which was do you use smaller sections of lace...great info, now to loosten up my fat fingers and do some practice runs.

Gary

Dave, that's as nice as it gets. Your rope border is so even I thought it was a stamp at first. Excellent!

I finished lacing this project at about noon today. I'd like to have the finish well underway this evening because it is supposed to turn cold again tomorrow.

Anyway, here is the USMC seat all laced up and ready to start finishing.

Thanks for taking a look, the next post should be the last one for this seat.

David Theobald

USMC_laced.JPG

USMC_close_up_laced.JPG

post-5652-1238866189_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238866204_thumb.jpg

Almost too bad you can't leave it that way, without dye or finish - it looks so pristine.

Yeah I think that would be so nice like that.

Or even a coat of oil and sealed.

I couldn't agree more guys he want a dark tan finish a bit darker than the seat posted here. The bike is a 1948 panhead. The paint will be traditional harley ..... the tanks will be split seafoam green and cream.... the back fender will be the same green with a cream stripe. Very, very traditional.

wow that second picture is terrible I'm sorry about that quality.

Dave

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

post-5652-1238867557_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1238867632_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Very nice work, clean and precise cutting.

Ever think of becoming a surgeon :rofl:

Do you draw your own graphics?

Edited by Razz

Very nice work, clean and precise cutting.

Ever think of becoming a surgeon :rofl:

Do you draw your own graphics?

Hey Razz,

A surgeon eh? No, I can't say that a career in medicine ever crossed my mind. The graphic came from the internet. It is the standard USMC logo usually called the eagle,globe and anchor.

I'm going to begin the finish on this tonight. The customers agrees that a lighter seat would stand out more....

Thanks for looking

David Theobald

"QUOTE"

(A surgeon eh? No, I can't say that a career in medicine ever crossed my mind. The graphic came from the internet. It is the standard USMC logo usually called the eagle,globe and anchor.)

Sorry got things a little confused, I was commenting on the seat futher down the thread.

But same things apply to the USMC seat.

Nicely done rope detail, circles are hell to do right, for me anyways.

With the precision of a surgeon's knife. lol

:rockon:

Seat.jpg

post-9978-1239375619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Razz