eri s

Need Help Finding The Right Machine.

Hi there,

On eBay I've found a SINGER 401A Slant-o-Matic SEWING MACHINE & Kenmore 158. 470.

I will be mainly making book cover cases with the machine I purchase, the leather, probably not super thick. Unsure which machine to purchase, or if these are even good ones for a start.

I've also found a Consew 206RB-5 walking foot sewing machine on craiglist.

Need help!!!!

post-45002-0-12596400-1378837061_thumb.j

post-45002-0-38586300-1378837096_thumb.j

Do not buy an "industrial strength" machine found on ebay to sew leather items. These are not leather sewing machines and will not perform anything close to the way you need or the way they are presented.

You need a walking foot machine like the Consew 206RB-5 you found on craigslist. If you're purchasing a used machine make sure to go try it first.

Sponsoring dealers on this website who sell similar machines:

- Cowboy sewing machines

- Leather machine co.

- Techsew sewing machines

Good luck in your search!

Ron

I would go with the Consew 206rb-5, it's the workhorse, hide pounders compare it with the Chevy of the trade. Parts and repair are easily available. You can sew leather with it as well from what I have seen on this website. I know there is a member selling his for 1150 but he's is got it all set up already with a gear reduction unit, and a really good servo motor. I think that is what you really need so you can sew at slow speeds and when you get the hang of it turn up the speed on the servo. I think is a win for the Consew. Best of luck with your sewing!

Are there anything available that is more smaller and a lower cost (under $1000) that has the walking foot? The Consew 206rb-5 I found on Craigslist is $995, 3 months old, practically new.

I think I seen this machine on Craigslist myself matter of fact I did this machine has a clutch motor if I am not mistaken at for a beginner a clutch motor is very hard to learn in. This motor will take of on you and you will not have any control over your material. The other machine I told you about is a better deal for about 200 dollars more you get the speed reducer and a modified servo motor plus the extra suspending guide which is very practical for beginners even experienced leather workers when wanting to sew a straight stitch. Let me know what you think.

I would stay away from the Juki it is designed for garments and not leather.

Hey Andrew, I think your Consew would benefit this member that is why I mentioned your post. Hope that's alright.

Ralph

The guys are right, these toys advertised as industrial strength machines are just home dressmakers machines. These ads appear all over the world now and I'd really like to shut them down. Go for the walking foot..... there are lots of Consew and Singer about.