Sign in to follow this  
jjcchawks

2nd saddle

Just finished up my second saddle. Built it on a Swanke 15" tree that I picked up from Ben went I stopped there the other day, he makes a nice tree I think and my brother rides a saddle Ben made for him that he really likes.

It's got a few bobbles in it that stick out like a sore thumb to me but it fits a horse nice and feels good to me (had to throw it on my old stud and try it out).

This one was a good experience and was able to find out what worked for me and what didn't...especially on the patterns I made.

It's been a year since I went to Dale Moore's saddle making school in Belgrade, MT so I got some help from Dale Harwood and Jerimiah Watt via their DVD's. Both were helpful but I found myself referring more to the Watt DVD just for it's detailed instruction and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Also I should take this time to thank my girlfriend for her help and apologize for the couple of fits I threw!

Justin Hawks

IMG_3099.jpg

JH_Saddle_2.jpg

post-5604-1227979061_thumb.jpg

post-5604-1227979101_thumb.jpg

Looks great. Who was the treemaker?

Nice lookin' saddle. I just got back from Dale's school last month. Starting to work on number two also.

Bobbles. I'm gonna have to remember that word. It's a lot more polite than the words I use to describe my bobbles! (And, on my 2nd saddle, I had lots of them!)

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Justin,

your hard work payed off. They're right about how comfortable it looks, I can attest to that as of today.

Nice job and good luck on your next one.

LELK