MrLentz

How To Sew Around The Folded Edge

Hello, I came across this simple phone wallet and wanted to give it a shot - but I am confused as to how they sewed it with a machine. If you look at the image below, the stitch seems to go around the folded leather, continuously. However it also has sewn in flaps on the inside. It looks to be machine sewn.

Any thoughts?

il_570xN.353770886_kydq.jpg

Also - how did they dye their logo black without it running into the other areas?

il_570xN.353770902_cb1b.jpg

Thanks!

They glued the edges and sewed it while it was flat then folded it over. Not sure what they did on the logo.

Hi Mr. Lentz. I can help you as far as the sewing. They took two pieces of leather, the tallest piece for bills and another piece cut to length and width. Then they used seam tape or glue to fold the edges over before sewing. And the tallest wallet piece was glued in place behind the one fold or seam tape used as well. Then they machine sewed both edges keeping the folds and the second bill piece in place. Logo, I'm not sure about.

They glued the edges and sewed it while it was flat then folded it over. Not sure what they did on the logo.

Wallet%20copy.jpg

Yes, but after sewing it while flat, how did they fold it and re-sew with it looking like there is only one stitch ?

Edited by MrLentz

I think - The inside parts are sewn together first, then that is sewn to the outside - around the edge...

This Tutorial might help

KK Tutorial

or maybe this

Wallet Construction Tutorial 2012

As as far as how the logo was dyed, they might have used a fine sharpie

or maybe they used Antique Paste to color the logo. Antiquing is a way to

color the low spots of your tooling a darker color.

This might help

Some Tips on how to use Antique

Hope this helps

Edited by LNLeather

Can't really tell from the picture but if you can see the knot at the end (where your arrow points) then they simply sewed to the end, did one more stitch to go past the last hole and then backtacked. If you don't see the knot and this is not hand sewn then I have no idea.

As for the logo, looks like it was hot stamped before they sewed.

Andrew

If you start out leaving about 6 or 8 inches of thread before the first stitch, . . . and end by cutting another 6 or 8 inches, . . . you can then go back with a single needle and hand stitch the ends, . . . wrapping around the outside, . . . giving that appearance.

On a personal note, . . . though it is cute, . . . the 4 stitches on those outside edges, . . . they are the 4 stitches that will wear the most, . . . therefore breaking first.

I would stop short by one or two stitch lengths, . . . that is what I do.

May God bless,

Dwight

On a personal note, . . . though it is cute, . . . the 4 stitches on those outside edges, . . . they are the 4 stitches that will wear the most, . . . therefore breaking first.

I think your technique will work the best, though that's a great point, that last stitch is bound to break pretty quickly.

I ended up using my machine last night and overstitching by one stitch then reversing and I got the same look. In the end though - hand stitching the whole project is probably the way to go, it just looks better.