Bluesman

New Mauls

Just got a new 14oz and 20oz form the Bearman. Came with a beautiful stand and cocobolo handles. Time to get some leather wet.

post-27800-047489400 1338492829_thumb.jp

post-27800-058935500 1338492838_thumb.jp

post-27800-058696200 1338492848_thumb.jp

<<<<<clamps eyes shut tight, plugs ears and sings... "la la la la!!"

Seriously though... they do look nice. Let me know how you like the 14oz one.

Sylvia, I will give a full report. I currently have a 16oz and a 24oz Barry King mauls. I am hoping for less bounce from these. When I use my 24oz I can feel it in my elbow the next day. So, actually these are for medical reasons :)

Jon

Sylvia, I will give a full report. I currently have a 16oz and a 24oz Barry King mauls. I am hoping for less bounce from these. When I use my 24oz I can feel it in my elbow the next day. So, actually these are for medical reasons :)

Jon

They look nice. I'm definitely interested in your report! I just posted a topic asking for advice on a new maul.

They look nice. I'm definitely interested in your report! I just posted a topic asking for advice on a new maul.

You were asking for advice on a rawhide maul. Bearman mauls are not rawhide, but are made from sort of poly material. All I know is you couldn't trade me out of my Bearman maul for anything. I really don't understand why you are wanting a rawhide maul. I, too, used a rawhide mallet for 40 years, and wouldn't even consider going back to it. I do use it for driven punches, but that is about all.

Terry

You were asking for advice on a rawhide maul. Bearman mauls are not rawhide, but are made from sort of poly material. All I know is you couldn't trade me out of my Bearman maul for anything. I really don't understand why you are wanting a rawhide maul. I, too, used a rawhide mallet for 40 years, and wouldn't even consider going back to it. I do use it for driven punches, but that is about all.

Terry

That's because I hadn't seen his yet! rolleyes2.gif

But since you like them so much, could you tell me why they're better than rawhide? Thanks for the help and inside info. I sent Ed an email.

That's because I hadn't seen his yet! rolleyes2.gif

But since you like them so much, could you tell me why they're better than rawhide? Thanks for the help and inside info. I sent Ed an email.

They don't flake off on the leather, they don't get "beat-up" edges, and it seems like you have much control over your tools and what is going on with the leather. Kind of hard to explain.

Terry

They don't flake off on the leather, they don't get "beat-up" edges, and it seems like you have much control over your tools and what is going on with the leather. Kind of hard to explain.

Terry

Actually, I think that sounds like a pretty good explanation! I'm in contact with Bear now. I'm sure that I'll be ordering one.....or two, very soon! thumbsup.gif

One thing I can tell you about a rawhide maul is that over time it will get chewed up. I had a Stohlman maul I will try to find the picture of it. Around the center of the rawhide head was a grove worn over time from the tool chewing away at the rawhide with every impact. I have had my bearman mauls for six months and they look the same as the day I unwrapped them. They are well balanced and comfortable to use. You will get excellent customer service from Ed and Beary.

Scott

post-15001-048173500 1338993529_thumb.jp

post-15001-095725100 1338993838_thumb.jp

Edited by camano ridge

One thing I can tell you about a rawhide maul is that over time it will get chewed up. I had a Stohlman maul I will try to find the picture of it. Around the center of the rawhide head was a grove worn over time from the tool chewing away at the rawhide with every impact. I have had my bearman mauls for six months and they look the same as the day I unwrapped them. They are well balanced and comfortable to use. You will get excellent customer service from Ed and Beary.

Scott

Those are nice. Did you supply the military pieces for the ends?

I supplied the firefighter challenge coin (I think I got it off ebay for $4.00 plus $2.00 shipping). If you are military or former military talk to Ed I think he has each branch in stock.

Scott

I supplied the firefighter challenge coin (I think I got it off ebay for $4.00 plus $2.00 shipping). If you are military or former military talk to Ed I think he has each branch in stock.

Scott

Thanks Scott. It looked like a USMC emblem in the picture. It was kinda small on my laptop.

I also have a couple of FF challenge coins if I can find them! Thanks for the idea.

Yes it is USMC.

post-15001-067868800 1339023527_thumb.jp

post-15001-051440500 1339023560_thumb.jp

Hey guys, I'm brand new, whats a maul for?

(I have an E-Z beginner kit, so I am still learning EVERYTHING)

It is used instead of a mallet, for striking tools such as snap setters or stamping tools.

And it is easier to use than a Mallet I might add..............IMHO

Is there any advantage to it, or is it a preferance, slightly different uses one has over the other?

Thanks guys.... Those look pretty nifty.

Usually it is personal preferance, but after 40 years of doing leather.............I like it better and have better control with a maul.

Rooster in my experience i have better control with a maul