kimball

If Money Was No Object

If money was no object what machine would you choose for ,chaps ,headstalls ,holsters , gun belts ,reins ,saddle bags,rifle slings ,knife sheaths and eventully saddles ?

I would get another Ferdco Pro 2000.

If money was no barrier, I would definitely buy a Campbell High Lift needle and awls stitcher, with all available accessories and lots of linen and polyester thread. My second machine would be an authentic Adler 205-374, with all accessories.

I am very happy with my Ferdco 2000 also. My flat bed is Ferdco's version of the 1245 and like that one a bunch too. I had an Alder 205-64 that was heck of a good one too.

I've got a Campbell, and it serves me very well. I have two Highleads which also are very nice machines, one of them does heavy blankets and tents and takes a beating, the other one is set up for leather and is honestly better treated, never a problem with either one. I guess if I had to, I would get Dan at Campbell to have them rebuild me a Cyclone.

Art

If money was no object what machine would you choose for ,chaps ,headstalls ,holsters , gun belts ,reins ,saddle bags,rifle slings ,knife sheaths and eventully saddles ?

What's a Classic ? A sewing machine ?

the Luberto classic is it inthis catagory of machines for the above mentioned jobs ?

1 of each of the best for each set up for every size needle & every thread color I may are maynot use.LOL

It's like a #6 Pearson, only not as good :)

1 of each of the best for each set up for every size needle & every thread color I may are maynot use.LOL

That almost sounds like a trip to Al Bane's shop. I went there for the first time Saturday and was in leather sewing playland...9 sewing machines all set up with different weight threads and needles and then there were all the setters, skivers, etc. Fun place to hang out and work.

OK, i understand now. Never seen either one of them except in pictures. When he said said Classic it throwed me a curve.

If money was truly no object, I'd go to Campbell-Randall and get them to engineer me a Campbell high-lift with a 16" throat.

That's cool, but go for the 25" with the best electronic system that Efka makes AND all of the Campbell accessories. I'm still in love with the Cyclone (Roller Coaster and Stitcher).

Art

If money was truly no object, I'd go to Campbell-Randall and get them to engineer me a Campbell high-lift with a 16" throat.

I am more a collector of old machines than a user so if money was no object then we start at Singer No1 and work upwards. If it sews then it is going to be in the collection.

I still dream about creating my own customized leather stitcher; combining the best features of the best machines into one. Ferdinand Bull machines were created by a man with such a dream. He also had capital to back his venture.

I am good friends with the owner of a top-notch manufacturing plant in Lapeer, Michigan. I made their website. This company can cast, mill, drill, or turn any material, to incredibly close tolerances. With some funding and after a successful prototype was created, that machine could be produced here, in the USA. I have no idea how much it would cost to machine the parts, but this topic is about "If money was no object."

Some of the items I would design into my dream machine would include:

• My dream machine would be a cross between an Adler 205, a Juki 441 and a Luberto Classic. The parts would all be made in the USA (remember: money is no object)!
  • Closed eye needle machine, using system 794 needles. Needle and awl system is very finicky, especially when reversing to lock stitches, or when sewing webbing. Why be aggravated by trying to avoid ratted bottom thread or webbing?
  • Square drive needlebar system: The needle fully penetrates all layers of the leather, straight down, before it moves to form the stitch length. Then, it gets pulled straight backward or forward, rather than pivoting from the top (eliminating the "pendulum effect").
  • Jumping pressor foot remains down until the needle has penetrated the leather. Then it lifts completely off the leather until the needle has pulled the material back (or forward when in reverse). The foot lowers to secure the leather just before the needle begins to ascend. The needle withdraws, then moves to its starting position (fwd or rev).
  • Heavy, long and wide coil spring for presser foot pressure (similar to Union Lockstitch), with easy to spin thumb wheel on top. Full range from almost zero to lots of pressure.
  • Bobbin and hook same as 441 types. Some type of compensator designed to account for different timing when needle is in reverse, vs forward motion. Timing in reverse is sometimes tricky now, especially when using long stitches.
  • Presser foot hand lift lever on top-left front of head, not inside. I hate that the lift levers are on the inside on 441 clones. I find it awkward to reach in, behind the head. I prefer the Adler 205 lifter system.
  • Adler style drop down roller edge guide. The swing away guides are problematic for me.
  • 18 inch arm, but not tapered toward back as on most machines. It would have the same diameter, from left to right
  • Heavy flywheel for smoother operation at very slow speeds
  • Narrow feed dogs (smooth and with teeth), only 1/4 inch wide and a standard throat plate to match. This set would cover needle sizes 18 through 23
  • Wide feed dog and matching narrow slotted plate, for heavier work and bigger needles (#24 to #27). This set would be the same ginormous set that ships on all of the current 441 clones.
  • Either Teflon coated, or highly polished chrome plated throat plates, to reduce drag.
  • A wide array of raised throat plates (holster & stirrup), plus long and short flat plates (long = more support on left for wide items : narrow = cut off close on left side to sew right up to the edge of shaped cases.
  • Presser foot array: left toe, right toe, double open toe, narrow (1/4") closed double toe with slot, 1/2" wide closed toe with slot, trailing toe for shoe soles or shaped cases with narrow stitching flanges.
  • A compensating in-out shuttle system that optimizes the distance of the needles to the pick-up point, from #18 through #27. No skipped stitches from too much side space when changing from large to smaller needles for one job. No need to change spacer shims like on Adler 205.
  • Lift adjuster for the height of the jump foot, to fine tune for thin or thick leather and large or small stitches. Lower lift would be quieter operation.
  • Central oil distribution system, with oil wicks emanating from a reservoir on top of the machine. Second set of oil wick ports on cylinder arm, for shuttle shaft and feed dog shafts and connectors
  • Micro switch or optical sensor to halt motor drive if bobbin case is open!. I don't know why, but sometimes I start to wind a bobbin reload and forget to close the bobbin case! A sensor that prevents the machine from turning by the motor would save me from an expensive bobbin case replacement.
  • A needle positioning servo motor that actually allows a full range of speeds, without a speed reducer, capable of sewing very slowly or fast, but without dropping out below 1 stitch per second, or less. Sometimes, I have to sew into existing holes, which may not be perfectly spaced. The current breed of standard servo motors tend to shudder and drop out as I slow down below 1 per second or every other second. I consider slow speed to be as little as 1 stitch in 3 to 5 seconds! I'm not kidding! This motor would also be designed and built in the USA, with discreet components, soldered by hand. It would probably be an SCR controlled motor.
  • The case would be cast in a mold that does not leave rough porous edges or blocked/ragged internal channels. The bearing channels would be a proper fit and the oil holes would line up the the holes in the bearings.
  • All shafts, bearings and gears would be machined from known good quality bronze and steel. Threads would be cleaned before the parts were delivered to me for assembly.

I figure that a machine built like this one would easily out live me and could continue doing good work for a century. I have a 101 year old Union Lockstitch machine that sews like it was brand new. It was produced entirely in the USA, with US iron and steel. It is a complicated machine that sounds like a thrashing machine when run fast.

I agree with you Darren, I'd start with the No1 and stop at the Singer 97-10, if there was money left over a nice Adler 205 would be nice.

Steve,

Here's one for you a 98-3,made in 1915 for booting tires.I copied the manual off Singer's site & it shows the stitching on the side of a tire.This machine is very similar to a 97.Except it has reverse.

Bob

post-7185-096325000 1311937704_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, thanks for the picture, thats the first time I've seen that machine. I didn't know anybody would want to stitch threw the side of a tyre. In kind I've attached an interesting machine for you.. See if you can tell me what it is, because I dont have a clue. Regards Stevepost-19343-035086500 1312012188_thumb.jp

If money were no object I would still sew everything by hand and go buy a Ferrari.

Edited by Nutty Saddler

Steve,

There used to be a factory in town here that made vinyl for auto upholstery & they had machines like that one to join the backing material of the vinyl together @ the end of the roll.

Here's a pic of a Gritzner I picked up a few months ago & I had it sewing,I think it's for leather as it has around 3/4" lift under the foot.

Bob

post-7185-076223900 1312030005_thumb.jpg

post-7185-077706100 1312030019_thumb.jpg

Edited by sewmun

Steve,

There used to be a factory in town here that made vinyl for auto upholstery & they had machines like that one to join the backing material of the vinyl together @ the end of the roll.

Here's a pic of a Gritzner I picked up a few months ago & I had it sewing,I think it's for leather as it has around 3/4" lift under the foot.

Bob

I had a hand operated machine like your Gritzner. I used it for new attaching outsoles to boots

Thanks Bob, just when you think you've seen them all along comes another one. I tried all Singer avenues to get info on my 5-12 but they only come back with what I can find on their websites, thats that it was made 7th of July 1879. I guess its a matter now of waiting until an old timer comes along that knows it. Regards Steve

If money were no object I would still sew everything by hand and go buy a Ferrari.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Steve,

Bob

I believe that was originally designed as an outsoler for shoes. They're neat machines. I want one for my ancient hand-cranked outsoler collection.