bruce johnson

Hennessy Bareback Rigging

I got into the museum Oakdale Cowboy Museum and got a few pictures. Primary is the bareback rigging made by one of our newer members - Peter John Hennessy. It belonged to one of my good friends - John MacDonald (aka "Hotdog"). He went to the finals a few times in the late 70s. Two days before he died in an accident we made a 24 hour run to southern California to pick up a horse. His mom gave me his gear bag after he died, and his chaps, rigging, and PRCA card. It is all the museum, but the gear bag is mine.

I have also attached pics of some other saddles we have. The bronc saddle is made by Allan Pursley (Broken Arrow). The trophy saddles are all world champion saddles. Two are from Keyston from 1945 and 1947. The black one is made by Garcia from 1936. The others are two from Ryons - 1975, one couldn't find the maker from 1969. My favorite is the Chester Hape made saddle from 1977.

The cool thing is that all of the stuff in our cowboy musuem has come from local cowboys. We're pretty deep in rodeo history - All of our displays have come from people who have lived here.

As an aside, a couple things I am looking for for this display area - flank straps. I'd like to get a bull flank and a bronc flank. If anyone has a line on one that has some use on it, I'd appreciate it. It doen't have to be real functional - display pieces to show exactly what they are, how they fit, and "No Virginaia, they don't have spikes in them".

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

post-29-1224960525_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960543_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960571_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960598_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960642_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960684_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960709_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960724_thumb.jpg

post-29-1224960815_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I love looking at this. Someday I hope to see it in person.

Art

Very kewl Bruce. I smell rosin & benzoine ! Brings back memories of when I was much younger, and slightly more stupified. Ironic thing is though.........I suffered much worse injuries in big wrecks scattered about my cowpuncher career, than I ever did riding broncs in the arena.

Those trophy saddles are just great. Good on ya for your museum efforts. JW