Mobeal

Semi Gloss White Finish On Skirting Leather

Hi All,

I am a shoe maker by trade but I'm hoping that the leather working community here can help me out with some much needed advice.

I have a customer that has requested a semi gloss WHITE finish on a sandal footbed, sole edge and outsole (customer's choice, not mine! ;)

The footbed will be skirting leather from W&C and the outsole will be from Keystone leather. Both will be a natural veg tan color before finishing.

The finish should be resistant to moisture, flex, and abrasion as much as possible.

Do you guys and gals have any suggestions on what products and process to use for this?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael Nash

Unless the leather is already white you are pretty much out of luck. I had a horrible time coming up with white for this set of armor I did. I tried Fiebings leather dye which only came out mottled no matter how I did it and in the end I went with LOTS of Cova acrylic paint...which I definitely do not recommend for anything that is going to go through any amount of stress. After one time of wearing it the color was already starting to crack and peel. I have had much better luck with the Angelus leather paint, but even then I don't think it would hold up on a sole. God luck, and hopefully someone else has some better insight...

Silly picture didn't attached to my last post...

post-17044-0-16550800-1366656143_thumb.j

Awesome Morsith outfit Treybecca!

Thanks for the response Treybecca! Thats some nice looking work!

From what I can tell, the acrylic paints will probably give me the best results out of all the options available but I doubt that it will be very durable.

If anyone else has any advise I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again,

M