Phatdaddy

Veg Tan - Comparison

This may seem off the wall to some. But I have to ask...

Today I thought to ask about the "Royal Meadow" that was on sale at Tandy as I'd heard about it but never laid eyes on it in the store.

I found out that they keep it rolled, in paper, in boxes. I have heard people on this forum mention it before so the name wasn't new...but OMG is it ever different than they're regular stocked leather. It was SO soft and pliable. For a moment I was surprised and thought it was like garment leather(4/5oz) then my immediate thought was maybe this is what it's supposed to feel like. Most of the stuff I have used(tandy eco/prem) has been MUCH stiffer. My question is simple...

Is this comparable to say Herman Oak or WC and the other top quality tannages you people are using? Is this what good quality feels like?

I got to thinking later that half of the kits and patterns I've made for say hand bags and other articles have been so stiff, but with this stuff they'd crumple under their own weight (maybe not that bad)

For the first time in awhile I feel like a complete newbie...

I think i will deam about that stuff tonight.

Kevin

I don't think what you're describing is common. I haven't used high quality sides, but I get Herman Oak strips from Springfield pretty regularly. They're not what I'd call soft. Springfield does carry something that I think is similar to what you're talking about. http://springfieldleather.com/25864/Side%2CSoft-Veg-Tan%2C12-17sqft/ I'm thinking soft handed veg-tan is one of those specialty items.

From my experience, Yes, the Royal Meadow is close to the quality of American made leather. It feels much more like leather and less like poster board. Only issue, it costs so much you could buy top grade American leather for a lot less.

Aaron

Hi Kevin, I have bought 2 sides of Royal Meadow before. While I was still a elite member, at 6.80/sq ft.

The leather feels and smells nice. It burnishes very nicely too. It is indeed softer than most, but I wouldn't say it is close to garment leather at all. It still has enough body for making wallets and bags.

One thing though, which Chris (Spinner), has experienced before too. Looking at the leather, it looks almost 100% blemish free. But the moment you wet it/ dye it/ oil it, or apply any form of liquid to it, you start to see little spots appearing here and there.

These spots aren't many, but it is frustating if it appeared right in the middle of a cut piece. For my remaining Royal Meadow, nowadays I spray a little water on it, give the spots a chance to appear, before I choose where to cut.

I am thinking these spots are actually insect bites which have been buffed out, thus not visible when dry, but appearing when wet. This is just a guess.

In any case, with the current prices, i suppose you are better off with W&C. You can buy W&C's standard grade with that price, and I've heard W&C is relatively softer as well. I can't be sure as so far all my W&C leather has been plated at my request prior to shipping.

Rgds,

Dylan

I got the stuff out on my last visit to Tandy UK and yes, it's the stuff of dreams. It feels more like silk than leather. I do think it would be perfect for upholstery; high end car seats, fine headboards, etc. but would be wasted on those things!

I'd love to work with the stuff. I agree that it seems a little less rigid therefore should be used for finer goods such as wallets, book covers, etc.

Thanks all for answering, garment leather wasn't likely the best comparison i agree, but I'm used to unrolling leather and having to weight it down to keep it flat, and even after a day or so you remove the weights and it spings back into a roll. This stuff unrolled and laid flat after (months?) rolled up in a box. Hard to explain, my curiousity was mostly if this was the norm with high quality leather. I may have to give in and place an order.