Tallbald

My Cb3500 Arrives This Week. Now Many Folks "have A Project" For Me...

I do have really have wonderful friends and family members, but sometimes having a skill like my wood working, leather crafting, or machinist training can lead to annoyances for me. Today I shared the joy I expect from having a true leather sewing machine by discussing it's capabilities with others in my circle of family and friends, and explained that I want to do some projects when I'm able to, to help pay my savings account back. Today alone (at a holiday gathering), no sooner did my wife bring up that I was buying a machine than one member said that he now knows " where to come" to get his "custom brown leather motorcycle saddlebags". His interest seemed to fade when I replied "Sure! I'll be happy to teach you to use my machine and even put you in contact with the place I buy my leather hides and tell you how to make a pattern" (he knows I sew my own gun cases, make my own holster designs, and do fabric quilting). Another friend who has an appliance repair service on the side learned I as buying my machine and said" Great! I'll get you to cut and sew a wet weather soft top for my four wheeler because none is commercially available!". I may be totally wrong, but I kinda really don't think that paying me for my time or material was in their thought processes. Two years ago a nephew saw a holster I made for his Dad's Ruger Bisley Vaquero and said "I want you to make one for my Smith and Wesson 686.". After I said to him "Hey I'll do better than that! You come to my house and I'll help you make a pattern, show you how to cut the leather and teach you to saddle stitch it", he never mentioned it again.

I'm a giving man and have always jumped in the days before I got injured to help friends and family whenever I could. But sometimes family and friends seem to view my tools and skills as some sort of federally funded free social or entitlement program. How do others here deal with these situations? Am I just being a stingy old man with my time and materials? Do you give "family discounts" or do as I do and offer to teach them how to do it for themselves? My wife has had the very same thing happen to her at church and with family when people learn she has a quilting machine and the skills to use it.

As you mentioned in your other thread you don't expect free hamburger. I would take the approach of say that you will make what they require, as long as it's within your range of interests, for time and materials.

That way you are making a few bucks, practicing and learning to make commercial products at their expense. I would call that a win - win. Of course if they want free, then tell em you don't do free, but there are some really good , inexpensive leather makers in Beijing...

Cya!

Bob

Because they all know I do leather work for a "living", they have all expected to pay when they request something...but I've given many more "gifts" to family members ..close friends I consider family as well.....than I've sold.