Leatherbaron

The "waylon Rose" Leather Telecaster Guitar Hand Made

This Telecaster is hand made by me and is named the "Waylon Rose" after Waylon jennings style leather guitar.

a few photos to check out if your interested .

Regards Terry O'Brien

The Leatherbaron

post-28540-080797900 1327923154_thumb.jp

post-28540-036217200 1327923243_thumb.jp

post-28540-004167500 1327923261_thumb.jp

post-28540-046636100 1327923287_thumb.jp

post-28540-071463700 1327923303_thumb.jp

post-28540-056794500 1327923317_thumb.jp

Way cool!

Way cool!

Thanks Jeff (zilla) nice of you to comment

Terry

Noice!!!

But is it the Rose Waylon or the Waylon Rose?? I ask because of the labeling in the one picture.

This Telecaster is hand made by me and is named the "Waylon Rose" after Waylon jennings style leather guitar.

Regards Terry O'Brien

The Leatherbaron

Way nice, actually totally amazing. Cheryl

Noice!!!

But is it the Rose Waylon or the Waylon Rose?? I ask because of the labeling in the one picture.

It is the "Waylon Rose" althought the way I play guitar it should be the "wailing rose" heh heh

Terry

LOL - I'm envious of anyone with musical talent - she's a purdy one :)

LOL - I'm envious of anyone with musical talent - she's a purdy one :)

hmmm talent is something you aquire over time

this youtube video is of me playing and instrumental song "Spring is nearly here "

just for interest sake , but it is not on my Waylon rose but is on my Fender stratocaster

Terry

cool beans :)

Way nice, actually totally amazing. Cheryl

Thanks Cherly

Nice of you to comment on my stuff

by the way is Double c a ranch or a cup size heh heh

I read your profile and you do the normal that people do , under estimate your self

it all takes time and you will never be as good as some one else ,but you will allways be better than someone else

Life sucks then you die !!!!

don't do al lot of things that your reasonable at, do a few things that your good at

I am good at carving horse heads.... i see other peoples carvings of horse heads and think "what the hell is that "

Now I can't draw for shit !!!! but i can do horse heads

Regards Terry

Edited by Leatherbaron

Way cool ! I love it!

Thanks Cherly

Nice of you to comment on my stuff

by the way is Double c a ranch or a cup size heh heh

I read your profile and you do the normal that people do , under estimate your self

it all takes time and you will never be as good as some one else ,but you will allways be better than someone else

Life sucks then you die !!!!

don't do al lot of things that your reasonable at, do a few things that your good at

I am good at carving horse heads.... i see other peoples carvings of horse heads and think "what the hell is that "

Now I can't draw for shit !!!! but i can do horse heads

Regards Terry

Well Terry Double C is the name of my business. I started it first and then thought I'd learn to do leather work, LOL. You know in the spare time the words getting out. I would love to see your horse heads because right now my proudest project is called 'In the eye of a horse.' and the second one is a horse I drew from mine and mentally removed the halter and saddle, and right now I'm working on another one from a different angle. I'm getting ready to practice a background on it, I mean actual images because someone here is helping me with that. I would love your advice and I'd love to see your things. I guess I'll just slam you with it all, LOL. My progression on the eye from one to 4, and the pic I took it from, and the two horses and the pics I took them from. The last one is just beveled (badly, sigh) but any pointers I will take. Criticize the Hades out of them, I don't mind anyone doing that to my work as long as they don't start criticizing me :-) The ones you've wondered what they were? Probably mine, LOL.

Well Terry Double C is the name of my business. I started it first and then thought I'd learn to do leather work, LOL. You know in the spare time the words getting out. I would love to see your horse heads because right now my proudest project is called 'In the eye of a horse.' and the second one is a horse I drew from mine and mentally removed the halter and saddle, and right now I'm working on another one from a different angle. I'm getting ready to practice a background on it, I mean actual images because someone here is helping me with that. I would love your advice and I'd love to see your things. I guess I'll just slam you with it all, LOL. My progression on the eye from one to 4, and the pic I took it from, and the two horses and the pics I took them from. The last one is just beveled (badly, sigh) but any pointers I will take. Criticize the Hades out of them, I don't mind anyone doing that to my work as long as they don't start criticizing me :-) The ones you've wondered what they were? Probably mine, LOL.

With leather work , you get to a stage where you think its not right and everyone else says its damn good,

now thats a problem because you dont really know if its good or not.

But eventually you get to the point where you really think damn I'm good, then you know for sure that you are up your self heh heh

So all I can tell you is that if it sells then you are doing ok....the work gets better all the time... just never be satisfied.

here are a few items of min.... one is a horse head on a tobacco pouch and the other pict is of a miniature saddle I made and also a gunbelt colt 45 etc.

post-28540-059643100 1328054634_thumb.jp

post-28540-038698000 1328054654_thumb.jp

With leather work , you get to a stage where you think its not right and everyone else says its damn good,

now thats a problem because you dont really know if its good or not.

But eventually you get to the point where you really think damn I'm good, then you know for sure that you are up your self heh heh

So all I can tell you is that if it sells then you are doing ok....the work gets better all the time... just never be satisfied.

here are a few items of min.... one is a horse head on a tobacco pouch and the other pict is of a miniature saddle I made and also a gunbelt colt 45 etc.

Those are beautiful. And you are so tactful since i was expecting a critique and you Texas two-stepped right on out of that, LOL. Guess it was mine you've been seeing and saying, HUH? Oh well I'll just keep on keeping on (I'm not selling this, LOL, this is my practice until someone is dumb enough to order a custom tack set from me and I have to pay someone else to make it.) Do you do tack sets? ROFL. Want to start building up a base of people I can send orders to in a pinch. Warmly, Cheryl

Beautiful work! What is the white "dye" that you used for this? Did you dye the whole thing black and go over it in white? I haven't found a white that works for me, but everyone seems to want black/white or blue/white stuff.

A few tips that i use....

When cutting with the swivel knife , cut deep , (buy a good one with bearings ) like a Tandy Leather Pro Swivel Knife $80 or so

it makes a difference. Buy the roller sharpener as per photo below. get some good swivel knife blades... try them all

Don't be stigy with money , spend all you have on tools..... make sure you dont use a wooden mallet ....get the expensive nylon mallet or better still one of the Al stollman round mallets ( expensive) but dont be stingy.

allway cut towards you ... with swivel knife

Never bevel away from you , allways bevel down towards you.... allways turn your leather piece , dont try to bever around corners till you are good at it

keep your swivel knife vertical , dont undercut the leather, practice nothing but straight cuts time and time again without under cutting

Dont lean the swivel knife forward when cutting ... keep it vertical , if you want to angle your blade to cut then get an angle blade and keep knife vertical.

If you Swivel knife hurts your fingers use bandaid on finger.... dont let it get sore or you will rush your work.

If i have to use thin leather to make something that is carved.. then I dont usually cut with swivel knife... I just bevel

Sure the bevel may not be as permanent as a cut and bevel. but cutting on say 1 mm leather is not so good either.

I use mainly 3mm or 8 oz leather for carving if i can , it is a good size to cut deep into.

hmmm those are a few tips for now

but whatever you do spend money now!!!! now !!!! get good stuff not cheap stuff

also get good leather , not cheaper leather, its nicer to carve

Prices for instance : I used to charge 25$ for a Can cooler as per below photo of Fishing can cooler ,then I changed ,and I charge $50 now.... and people dont have a problem with that price.....

A wallet I used to charge $50 for now I dont waste my time with a wallet for less than $100 as per photo below with horse head and initial ( up front money 50 % ) allways charge 50% deposit.

ok that all fer now

Regards Terry

email: leatherbaron1@bigpond.com

Darwin Australia

post-28540-053087600 1328055278_thumb.jp

post-28540-018887100 1328055291_thumb.jp

post-28540-046963500 1328056227_thumb.jp

post-28540-064590200 1328057390_thumb.jp

Edited by Leatherbaron

Beautiful work! What is the white "dye" that you used for this? Did you dye the whole thing black and go over it in white? I haven't found a white that works for me, but everyone seems to want black/white or blue/white stuff.

I dyed the main portion black and left the carving natural colour

then used white cova colour for the carving.... it's a pain in the bum with white and you have to use many coats to get a good non transparent thickness

but the best i found is cova colour from tandy

althought there is a newer colour I have not tried that looks good Angelus Leather Paint in the USA http://www.angelussh...h.com/cat6.html

regards Terry

post-28540-064803900 1328057484_thumb.jp

Edited by Leatherbaron

When cutting with the swivel knife , cut deep , (buy a good one with bearings ) like a Tandy Leather Pro Swivel Knife $80 or so

it makes a difference. Buy the roller sharpener as per photo below. get some good swivel knife blades... try them all

Don't be stigy with money , spend all you have on tools..... make sure you dont use a wooden mallet ....get the expensive nylon mallet or better still one of the Al stollman round mallets ( expensive) but dont be stingy.

Never bevel away from you , allways bevel down towards you.... allways turn your leather piece , dont try to bever around corners till you are good at it

keep your swivel knife vertical , dont undercut the leather, practice nothing but straight cuts time and time again without under cutting

Dont lean the swivel knife forward when cutting ... keep it vertical , if you want to angle your blade to cut then get an angle blade and keep knife vertical.

If you Swivel knife hurts your fingers use bandaid on finger.... dont let it get sore or you will rush your work.

If i have to use thin leather to make something that is carved.. then I dont usually cut with swivel knife... I just bevel

Sure the bevel may not be as permanent as a cut and bevel. but cutting on say 1 mm leather is not so good either.

I use mainly 3mm or 8 oz leather for carving if i can , it is a good size to cut deep into.

Prices for instance : I used to charge 25$ for a Can cooler as per below photo of Fishing can cooler ,then I changed ,and I charge $50 now.... and people dont have a problem with that price.....

A wallet I used to charge $50 for now I dont waste my time with a wallet for less than $100 as per photo below with horse head and initial ( up front money 50 % ) allways charge 50% deposit.

ok that all fer now

Regards Terry

Darwin Australia

Bless you're heart, you must be the only person that doesn't know. I'm Aunt Matilda, you know the one that lives with relatives because she doesn't have any money. I've only had a swivel knife a little over a week, it was given to me from someone here. Same with the leather, a friend sent it from here for the cost of postage. And I was just talking in a PM to another friend and I said, 'people tell you and me we need this and that, we'll only be as good as our tools. But I don't believe that Terry and told him that too. I said, just think when we get good with these cheap Tandy 6 and move on to really good tools, LOOK out. But I didn't know I was supposed to hold the swivel knife vertical and I appreciate you telling me that. And maybe if I cut deeper my bevel won't start walking off into the distance on it's own, LOL. I do bevel toward me well except when I don't :-) And da*m I want one of those coolies with the bass on it, LOL. I love bass fishing, and now I'm in VT. and I can't prove it, but I don't think they have a single bass in this state.

so I sit at these babbling brooks and watch my artificial worm come toward from casting upstream and then go by me downstream. But still I've never believed fishing had anything to do with fish. Not that an occasional bite isn't fun, but to me it's about the quiet except for the frogs, birds, and the plop of my worm. You can keep your index finger on the line right above the reel so you can watch all the wildlife, and let your mind rest and heal from everyday crap. So my first 50 bucks goes to you for a fishing cooly, and then 10.00 for a 12 pk. and I'll take a couple cold ones with me, and put them in your cooly and rest my mind. Thanks Terry for your help. And maybe you can't draw but you do a mean bass as well as a horse (and a killer guitar).

ok that all fer now

Regards Terry

Darwin Australia

Nail on the head BROTHER, Nail on the head. Tools will make the differance. NICE waylon, he would be proud.....................Oh Rainy Day Women...........Love that tune

We have a SHADOWS fan in the leather world besides myself! You play pretty good for a leather worker!

Oh and as long as I'm here. just DAMN,,,, that is one fine looking telecaster!

Do you ever get over to surf guitar 101 dot com? If you do, I'm the Joelman at that site.

Very nice work on both guitars!

Joel

Regards Terry O'Brien

The Leatherbaron

Terry.

May I borrow one of these pictures to show a telecaster fan at a guitar playing site? If you give me a link to your website I'll make sure it gets attributed to you.

Terry.

May I borrow one of these pictures to show a telecaster fan at a guitar playing site? If you give me a link to your website I'll make sure it gets attributed to you.

Yes of course you can - go fer it.

Terry - Leatherbaron (official name today , registered business name now )

after spending $4000 on industrial leather sewing machine had to do something with it.

Terry.

My web site is www.leatherbaron.com

My web site is www.leatherbaron.com

Sweet... I'll just post the link since it has the Waylon Rose on the entrance page.

:o) Thanks!

S

Sweet... I'll just post the link since it has the Waylon Rose on the entrance page.

:o) Thanks!

S

It only has that one photo of the Waylon Rose on the front page ...none inside

been to lasy to update the web site so far.

Regards