Shooter McGavin

Asked To Make Holster Without "maker Mark"

So I'll admit it, my "maker mark" is quite a bit uh, bolder, than some others that post here and around the interwebz. I've been asked twice in as many days to leave my mark of the front.

What does the leatherworker.net mindhive think about this? Anyone else even been asked?

I'm not sure what I think, or how I feel, about these requests.

Thanks

Oh, an example would help no doubt. Here ya go.

1911iwb1.jpg

1911floral.jpg

There's no harm in putting it on the back.

BUT, no mark at all should mean a price increase. 1) Your mark is advertising and 2) without a mark, someone else could claim to be the maker.

Puttting it on the back would be ok, I guess. But to leave it off all together, I think that would be akin to having a painting done and telling the artist not to sign it.

So I'll admit it, my "maker mark" is quite a bit uh, bolder, than some others that post here and around the interwebz. I've been asked twice in as many days to leave my mark of the front.

What does the leatherworker.net mindhive think about this? Anyone else even been asked?

Thanks

Shooter, to me my mark means my quality, guarantee, and my pride in my work. If it ain't there .... it ain't mine. Back or front doesn't matter to me .... mine are mostly on the back ........ but it's ALWAYS there. I have had early customer's kids have me build their first holster, and the first thing they do is look for the 'Kat Sass'. I have had customers that I had totally forgotten about have me build them something new, then look for my logo and state that the earlier one is better because the Kat was hand done and is more 'original', and are kind of sorry that the hand drawn logo has gone the way of 'progress', but they want that logo. Just my two cents. Mike

P.S. Hope this makes sense, I'm about half shot and it's late.

Edited by katsass

Thanks for the replies. I wasnt sure if I should feel slighted or not being asked to move it to the back. I used to put it on the back, then as my work got better, I wanted to proudly display my company name for all to see.

katsass: I absolutely love your logo!

This is just the way I look at things, but I always put mine in back, or at least some out of the way spot that won't distract from the piece. If someone wants to know about something I've made, the owner then can turn it around and send them to me. I don't think my brand should be front and center, but let the work be the focal point.

Think of the emblems/names on your truck or car. They're usually small and out of the way, or on the back of the vehicle....not painted in big letters across the hood or doors. You see the styling first, rather than the brand....just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with the others that mention putting it on the back. By no means would I agree to leave it off completely.

Put it on the back. I wouldn't agree to selling it without my mark. I made it, I get credit.

I think you are missing the point a lot here. Reguardless of the quality of your work, people find the oversized mark to be offensive to the beauty of the holster. If a painter painted a picture for the wall of your living room and delivered it with a signature that could be seen from the other side of the room most people would not be happy. Paintings are signed in a small, understated manor. Makers marks need to be the same way. The mark is a signature for those looking for it to see, not an adveriisement for the customer to display.

You know this to be true because people are asking you to leave it off. Not becuase they do not like the maker of the holster, but because it detracts from it's bueaty.

Aaron

I rarely put a "maker's mark" on any of my work. Why? Because like electrathon states, IMO, it detracts from the essence of the piece in nearly every instance. I can immediately tell if I've made a particular piece. Sometimes it's impossible to put a maker's mark, such as on a holster that's covered with an exotic skin like stingray. I wouldn't lose any sleep over someone asking you to leave the maker's mark off. Take some pics of it before you send it off to the customer if you're worried about someone else getting credit for the work, or you not getting credit. Then move on to the next holster to make.

...then there's customers that send their piece back because the maker forgot to stamp it with his mark.......ask me how I know.....

My makers mark goes on everything from holsters to dog collars. If the customer doesn't like it, then I have the option to decline their request for a holster.

Then again, money talks... so as mentioned before, if they're willing to pay extra I might consider it. :)

i agree that what ever you make needs to have your maker stamp on it, most of mine are placed on the back, but if i built a piece for any of my customers and didnt put a makers stamp thgey would return it just for that reason. i never use the same pattern twice everbody get a new pattern drawn up just for them, all my customers now are willing to by the orignal drawing of there patterns and have them framed and all of the even want the drawing signed and dated. this is just my personal opion but we all work to hard at doing what we do not to get credit for it. john ivy

Another thing to keep tucked in the back of your mind is that some agencies / departments don't allow people to where equipment with makers marks visible . My 1.5 cents would be to have the logo on the back ....

I'm in the camp that thinks your rather large and bold maker's mark takes away from your otherwise attractive, high quality work.You didn't state whether putting it on the back would be suitable to the customers, but I'd go that route if I were you.

Some very good points here, I appreciate the replies. Maybe I'll stick to doing the front logo only on my personal stuff.

...then there's customers that send their piece back because the maker forgot to stamp it with his mark.......ask me how I know.....

Rayban, earlier it also happened to me. I don't know if it's my work or just the mark ...but my customers seem to want it. Mike

Ummmmm...........what is that popular business saying???? Oh yes!

"The customer is always right !" Well, maybe so, maybe not. One thing is for

sure; it is a free country. Freedom of choice for you, freedom of choice for your customers.

The simple fact is that there are people, and number me among them, who don't feel like

being a walking billboard. I have no objection to the small Levi label that comes on my

jeans and is mostly covered by my belt. Or the name on the sweatband in my hat. Yes, I

wear caps with advertising on them, but I certainly didn't pay for them. If you want to give

me one of your holsters, then by all means; make your name prominent on the front. But if

you want me to pay for it; the mark should be discreet, or out of sight.

I have seen work on here where I felt the maker's mark was an obvious blemish on an

otherwise good piece of work. If the quality of the work doesn't speak for itself, then who

cares who made it? Maybe the gucci crowd lol!! You ever see Al Stohlman's maker

stamp: a very nice horsehead in a horseshoe with his initials (brand)? Yet did you see him

ever use it on something as small as a wallet or holster? No, his initials were sufficient.

Hi Shooter,

I have a problem with the big ol' makers marks. They make the product look like it just rolled off the assembly line. Custom is custom and the mark on custom work should be demure, in the case of some old masters, damned hard to find if it exists at all.

Personally, I have several makers marks. One is a traditional "old West" makers mark oval, the one with MAKER in the center with name on top and city on bottom; this is the biggest mark I have. One is a hand tool (about the size of a #3 beveler) with my initials slightly stylized; I will hide this in a field of basketweave or anything really. Another is a 5 point star with my initials in it, very small that I put somewhere inconspicuous on LEO work. The last is my chop (initial stamp kind of) for personal stuff and for friends.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you are getting asked to leave your mark off, it is probably too big or too ugly.

Art

Thanks

1911iwb1.jpg

1911floral.jpg

Some very good points here, I appreciate the replies. Maybe I'll stick to doing the front logo only on my personal stuff.

Oh heck yeah! I WANT to show 'em my personal stuff and make SURE they know I made it. That's just good "free" advertising. But, when I make a piece to sell, I keep my marks more subdued...but still on it somewhere.

Well there you have it Shooter, answers that run the whole gammit. Bottom line is it is up to you how you poceed. What ever you do is your choice, I personally, like to have my mark in prominent display on my work. I will however move it to an inconspicuous place at the owners request (reluctantly). A lot of the time I will work it into the tooling pattern, that seems to be a method that is well recieved by my customers. Here is a couple of pics to show what I mean.

Bob

Well there you have it Shooter, answers that run the whole gammit. Bottom line is it is up to you how you poceed. What ever you do is your choice, I personally, like to have my mark in prominent display on my work. I will however move it to an inconspicuous place at the owners request (reluctantly). A lot of the time I will work it into the tooling pattern, that seems to be a method that is well recieved by my customers. Here is a couple of pics to show what I mean.

Bob

I wish I could get these pictures to be smaller, but; for some reason I just can't seem to master this new fangled stuff. Perhaps those of you that are computer literate can make them small so that they can be viewed correctly.

Bob

post-8161-056982500 1308245026_thumb.jpg

post-8161-060444500 1308245114_thumb.jpg

Edited by BondoBobCustomSaddles

Not sure how much this relates to a leatherworking issue, but, I spent 35 years hand crafting fine furniture, cabinetry and accessories. I always signed my work in a discreet location. As proud as I am of what I created, my work spoke for itself. but then again, it was not for sale on Ebay. Put it on the back in really big letters (be proud,it's fine work) and word of mouth will bring you business.

Edit: for all you saddle makers. You guys are at the level we all (well at least me) wish we could achieve, but... how many people would turn a saddle over looking for a makers mark? Beans and Oranges.

Edited by Rhide

For provision work I put my mark on the back side. Simply not to disturb the overall look of the product. and as already mentioned its good to have different variations of your mark to use on different size work. Iguess that when people see a holster, sheath or a pouch on your belt they first notice the design. If they like what they see they can always look closer to find who made that piece.

Mat.

Bob

I wish I could get these pictures to be smaller, but; for some reason I just can't seem to master this new fangled stuff. Perhaps those of you that are computer literate can make them small so that they can be viewed correctly.

Bob

Here you go. Smaller pictures.

Michael

post-22515-070612500 1317539098_thumb.jp

post-22515-063523100 1317539108_thumb.jp

I put my mark on the back of every holster. However, if asked, I would certainly omit it. They know who made it! The customer gets what the customer wants and pays for. In fact, I would not hesitate to put a third party mark on my work if a large company would commission multiple pieces. This is common business practice and widely used branding technique. It's a leather holster, more than likely concealed anyway. If you think people will get close enough to be able to read or recognize the mark... well, don't kid yourself. Keep the pride in your work and not in the mark. The recognition will always follow the maker not the mark.

The best advertising, under promise, over deliver....#1: customer gets exactly what they asked for.