Sign in to follow this  
The Major

Erp Software

Has anyone implemented any ERP software in their leather business. And what are your thoughts of what you implemented?

In an effort to assist with this question, I think it might help if the term "ERP Software" was defined. I had to do some research on the topic and the question didn't have much meaning for me until I did.

ERP is Enterprise Resource Planning and more explanation can be found here.

ERP Software packages seem to be numerous and some further assistance with a list of packages, free and otherwise, can be found here.

I hope this helps...

Thanks for the attempt. But I figured if people don't know what ERP means, they wouldn't attempt to answer.I am looking for someone who has implemented a package in their business for ERP, and MRP which I can communicate with. Thanks again.

Sorry, I wouldn't have any Idea of how to make it work on such a small scale. I have lots of experience on the enterprise scale though, but only with pretty specialized products. So, I'm no help to you. But, I was wondering what kind of things you were thinking of using it for in your business? Basically just accounting and customer data and such?

I have extensive experience in Photoshop, which is what I use for my leather purposes, and limited experience in AutoCad. What are you hoping to accomplish with ERP?

Manage my business better than 500 different spreadsheets is what I hope to accomplish. Billing, invoicing, materials management, supplier management, manufacturing costing, etc.

I have a good handle on the accounting side. I just want to tie a manufacturing side to it better. With expansion in near sight, I need to start looking at options. I was hoping there is something out there for us sole operator businesses. There are allot of packages out there, so I'll just keep doing my research.

Thanks

Sorry, I wouldn't have any Idea of how to make it work on such a small scale. I have lots of experience on the enterprise scale though, but only with pretty specialized products. So, I'm no help to you. But, I was wondering what kind of things you were thinking of using it for in your business? Basically just accounting and customer data and such?

Keep us posted if you find something. Between me and my wife I'll probably need something soon. I just refuse to pay for technology, so sometimes it's hard to find something suitable to my needs.

I have a good handle on the accounting side. I just want to tie a manufacturing side to it better. With expansion in near sight, I need to start looking at options. I was hoping there is something out there for us sole operator businesses. There are allot of packages out there, so I'll just keep doing my research.

Thanks

Did you ever settle on anything here? I've come to the point where I really need to start thinking along these lines.

A couple that I'm looking at right now are Xtuple's PostBooks (free edition) and OpenERP. I've been contemplating Dollibar as well, but I'm not sure if it really meets my needs. I started using GNU Cash for accounting, but really need an inventory feature as well.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Well, let me know if you need links to any of those I mentioned. Someone's gotta figure out the best one for small business craftsmen, we might as well pool our thoughts!! :)

I am not sure what all you are wishing to accomplish but.....

I wrote all the programs covering about 15 to 20 years using "Helix". Don't use them anymore for reasons we will not get into now.

Apple began a program called FileMaker when the Macintosh first came out. We used it then but I never liked it. That is when I began with Helix.

FileMaker is:

Database management for iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac and the web

Several years ago we were getting requests from companies we do business with to handle all the ordering, billing, inventory, shipping, etc. without them sending any paper. I went back to FileMaker but use FileMaker Pro now. Steep learning curve, I never attended any classes just devoured several books written for the program.

I have written programs to augment our Postal Software. We receive orders via Excel, some are .csv a few are .xls. I convert to .xls in all instances with my changes to the program. My wife comes to me quite often with a problem. Such as, needing a list of all orders with only enough info to make it very easy to see if we have indeed received an order and where it is in the manufacture flow.

I wrote our General Ledger. I can print checks, I do labels. There are literally hundreds of different types of companies using this software.

Please understand, I do not work or represent this company in any way. I think you would be able to do anything you wish with it.

This is the link to their web site: http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/

ferg

Well Ferg, for me, I started using GNU Cash to manage accounting. I found that I would like something to keep track of supply inventory while I'm at it. The folks who support GNU Cash have decided that it would be too difficult to write a module for that program, so I started looking at other options. While researching, I've realized that having a customer database included would be handy, as well as some of the other features such as scheduling and task keeping that are available. I know a lot of companies are using Xtuple's Post Books (and the commercial versions), but I just installed it and it looks like A LOT of overkill for what I want. I'm in the process of demoing "Phreesoft" right now on their site.

Programming is the one technology field I never really got into - I can do it ALL, except for that :bawling:

Programming is something I always wanted to learn. FileMaker and others make it possible for folks like me with brain cells in short supply. LOL

ferg

....FileMaker and others make it possible for folks like me with brain cells in short supply. LOL

ferg

I checked out FileMaker a little bit. It looks cool, but for my purposes it's outside of my price range. All the stuff I'm looking at right now is free. I haven't really gotten to the point yet where I'm turning a good profit (still trying to build up supplies to have on hand), so I'm trying to make sure that all of my spending goes to material as much as possible. But, I did find that GNU Cash has some small customer and invoicing functionality. Not a whole lot (just ledger information and contact data), but it might be enough to hold me off until I find a better solution that's not overkill.

Cyber.......it's not free, so it's probably not for you......but Quickbooks is excellent and it does offer inventory management and enterprise solutions including vendor management, which is what Major said he needed. Look here for more info: http://enterprisesuite.intuit.com/products/enterprise-solutions/?qbes_info-b=features#qbes_info-b_tabs

Cyber.......it's not free, so it's probably not for you......

It's ok, I'm only that cheap when it comes to software :rofl:

I'm actually finding that there are LOTS of really full featured enterprise class solutions on the Free/OpenSource market. They're just so fully featured that they're overkill for my "accounting" brain. I installed PostBooks on my laptop and it looked really good (full vendor, inventory, workflow, accounting, etc...). It's a pretty large program though so it crashed my poor little browsing machine.

From QuickBooks look at the Premiere edition. It gives you everything you need to include the inventory management aspects that even gives you the ability to create a bill of materials and everything associated with the manufacturing portion. The price is hefty but you can assign everything to a specific line on Schedule C form for tax purposes so that when you print your end of year report you get it all lined out for you. There is another software package available from a company called Acclivity that does the same thing for a bit less than QuickBooks. I have been using their package, called AccountEdge for several years (used to be called MYOB) and they have always had the ability to create components and finished products from raw materials (this is new to QuickBooks). Stay clear of the enterprise editions as they are extremely pricy and meant for large corporations, not the private small business.