BrushyHillGuide

Spliter & Cutter/beveler Question

OK, if I'm going to get going on this (braiding rawhide and kangaroo), I'm going to have to invest in a splitter and a cutter/beveler, right? Can I get some recommendations on what to get? I don't want/can't afford to go out and get the most expensive ones out there, but I know enough that I need to get something good. So, can I get some options from y'all to look at - that won't totally break the bank?

Nick

Here's one that my buddy out in Jersey made for me. He did all the machine work on it. I got to beta test the first one.

0847__16832.jpg

This one sells for $300.00 shipping included. He makes it when you place the order. So it could take him about 3 weeks or so to make it. Everything on this is very precise. I use mine all the time.

He also has a different model he has made for a friend of mine in El Paso. That one includes a splitter on top of it. A really neat tool.

B...

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the size of it. I can fit it in one of my day hike back packs, or in one of my small duffel bags along with some of my other tools.

Edited by KnotHead

PJ does really good work Bryan, I hadnt seen that one before. I use the fid he made me on EVERY piece I make.

As far as lace cutters go, there are a few different makers all with roughly the same idea and they are all about the same price (3-400). I have a Jeuske (sp?) and I like it but there are some things I would change about it. If you are cutting a lot of rawhide, the one I would go with is a Lace Master http://lacemaster.com/ due to the fact that the blade is actually angled into the leather at about a 10 degree angle, preventing the lace from distorting or bending the blade. It can be a little more difficult to use if you are cutting off a round though because the blade and guide are up much higher than the table top. That is one thing I really like about mine and PJs design is that the blade is roughly the same level as the table.

That being said, you can make one yourself fairly easily the only hard part would be the splitter.

CW

I made a video on splitting with 2 different tools. The first one is the cheapest way and the second one is the one I got from my braiding mentor. That one is a bit a money if you buy it from Tandy.

Just an idea for the time being.

B...

Bryan-

Is that PeeJay's beveler? I dunno why but it looked a little different to me.

Nick

Yep. that's PJ's beveler. That one is the beta model that I was working with and giving feed back to him on it. The one I have now is the current version you see in the photo with a few more tweaks to it. I don't use raw hide that much. I use kangaroo hide a lot in most of my works. I have used horse hide before. That's a bit tougher to work with. But holds up really well. It dyes okay to.

B...

If I'm doing ring knots and buttons with rawhide, do I need to bevel and split it? Or, if I use precut rawhide string from Tandy (I have sone 3/32), do I need to split it or bevel it or is it ready to use?

I know that once I get to working on round braids with kangaroo I WILL need to have a Splitter and a beveler to do it right, though. Just wondering if I need to hurry and invest while I'm learning the ring and button knots I want to do with rawhide?

Nick

If I'm doing ring knots and buttons with rawhide, do I need to bevel and split it? Or, if I use precut rawhide string from Tandy (I have sone 3/32), do I need to split it or bevel it or is it ready to use?

I don't know that much about the Tandy raw hide lace to be able to tell you if you need to split it, or not. At 3/32, I would think that you would not have to do any of it, provided the lace is thin enough.

I know that once I get to working on round braids with kangaroo I WILL need to have a Splitter and a beveler to do it right, though. Just wondering if I need to hurry and invest while I'm learning the ring and button knots I want to do with rawhide?

I know from experience that you should invest into a cutter/beveler and splitter when you're working with kangaroo hide. You don't have to. But if you want your work to be quality work, that's the way to go. Even with raw hide the split and bevel makes the work or the project a better quality and much better to look at.

Nick

B...

Nick,

I don't know how to work with leather because I have never done it. I only work with rawhide. This is the way I split the thongs with a wood plane that costed me 3 dollars. I filed a litted notch in the conner so I can introduce the thongs easily.

and this is how we cut and bevel the thongs with home made tools.

Cheers,

Enrique

OK, if I'm going to get going on this (braiding rawhide and kangaroo), I'm going to have to invest in a splitter and a cutter/beveler, right? Can I get some recommendations on what to get? I don't want/can't afford to go out and get the most expensive ones out there, but I know enough that I need to get something good. So, can I get some options from y'all to look at - that won't totally break the bank?

Nick

Gday Nick

I make a resizer/beveller tool If you want a look at it go my website. click on leather care & tools there is a link to you tube

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com