Sign in to follow this  
tenabrae

Aibrushing With Raven Oil ?

I've seen a few people mention it in topics but without any concrete info. For anyone who's airbrushed with Raven Oil... Did you need to thin it ? What did you thin it with ?

And most importantly because I don't mind experimenting with everything else if I know... What did you clean your airbrush with ?

Mike.

Most airbrushes come with extra tips and needles to handle thicker and thinner fluids. I have no idea what you could use to thin it with, unless a call to the manufacturer can offer a solution. As for cleaning I would probably clean it with a regular solvent like lacquer thinner. (wear your respirator!)

I've never heard of Ravens oil before so I read up on it on a forum.

Cheers, my airbrush/compressor will definitely cope with it, really it's more making sure i have something to clean it with while i'm messing about trying to find the right needle size/psi combo.

Raven Oil's just a really smelly oil based dye, I've seen a bunch of people here mention they use it to airbrush holsters (it's also what I use for hand colouring leather)

In case anyone else is curious...

I didn't need to thin the raven oil at all to spray it through my Paasche VL using the number 1 (the finest) needle. I sprayed at around 30psi and I'll be experimenting with going lower.

I cleaned the brush with odourless solvent (which i understand is basically turps without the smell)... it needed a little more manual cleaning than spraying an acylic but it did clean out fine.

So it's a little over a month later now and i've had more experience using raven oil through the airbrush. I'm finding it sprays well around 20psi (siphon fed) without thinning.

Cleaning the aurbrush isn't a problem at all, the raven oil does like to cling so the needle needs a good clean after every use.