yutaoy

Back Side Stich

gusy, I start to practice sewing now. I got a question:

yesterday I sewed with 138 thread on leather, stich on front and back both look nice. today I bought 69 thread, changed needle to #20 as pfaff manual says, tighted tention ( is tightest already!) but back side stich looks not good, see the brown thread on picture, can see grey thread ( is top tread ), top tention is already tightest, where is not right?

:)

post-36212-0-30589400-1355810175_thumb.j

Edited by yutaoy

Loosen the top tension to where their is almost no tension and try it, if you need more tension tighten a little as needed when you try sewing on some scrap.

Thank you dirtclod, just tired loosen the top tension, almost no tension, is little bit better, but still can see " front top thread " on back stich.

is stich should be like this on back? or should look same as front stich? nice and neat. I think on back stich should not see " front thread " , right? maybe I'm wrong ... m..

I using top thread #69, robbin thread # 69.

Edited by yutaoy

What is the weight of the leather in the pic?

Is the machine threaded correctly? If you missed any spots on the top thread path, it will mess up the top tension. Review it closely. Make sure the thread is between the tension disks.

Increase top tension to bring the knot higher (towards the top). Move in small steps, like 1/4 turn each trial.

Tom

Edited by northmount

you can also lighten the bobbin thread tension a little. That should let the top tension pull the thread up. It is a balance between the bottom and top. On my Boss I have a light bottom tension and then adjust the top until it pulls the two threads into the center of the hole.

Ok,

You need more top tension or less bottom. But then you will need more bottom tension when you go to bigger thread. One of the old tricks to increase top tension is to take a double wrap around something in the thread path like the tension disks or a thread guide, this is why they sometimes put three holes in a thread guide. Of course make sure you are threaded correctly in the first place. Thread giude on top of machine is a good place to start, or thread guide right before tension disks is another. As last resort, double wrap the tension disks.

Art

tricky tricky! I lightened bottom robbin, now is better. so everytime when sew different fabric, need test. as mlapaglia said " It is a balance between the bottom and top. On my Boss I have a light bottom tension and then adjust the top until it pulls the two threads into the center of the hole."

before yesterday i only knows that just need to adjust top tension, didn't know that also need to work on bottom robbin. first class after got my baby!

Thank you guys! I love leatherworkers here!!! :)

I keep a bobbin case for each size thread I use. Once I get the tension like I like it I dodn't have to mess with it.

pcox, you mean you have different bobbin case for different size thread, that sounds a good idea, then don't have to adjust bobbin case tension again and again.