blue duck

Get A Nice Corner With Kydex

I have been using kydex for an inner-case on several projects that need protection. I have watched videos trying to get it right, but for the life of me I can not seem to get a decent 90* corner. Say for a box. I am hoping it is something simple that some of you might be able to explain. Or complicated for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, what hair I haven't pulled out is going white. rg

I'm not sure as to the process you use for doing your kydex, heat gun, heat lamps, oven, by hand shaping, vacuum table, you get the picture. When doing any kind of insert to get the corners I make a wooden mold (or buck) as its called they can be made out of anything hard. I also use a home made vac table that I use a shop vac with.

But for your needs I'd suggest making a corner mold (buck) just like for wet forming leather and then use a heat gun and gently with a piece of wood push the kydex down around your mold.

for hobby vacuum tables that you use a shop vac with look at www.widgetworksunlimited.com they work great for doing holster's, knife Sheaths, and other small projects.

I hope this helps, but it probably gives you more question's than answer's lol

Thank you kindly sir. I have been using a block of wood (which I now know has a name) and use an adjustable heat gun. Maybe I am not getting it hot enough or maybe too cool? Now that I say it out loud, what is the correct temp? I have tried using a dowel to smooth it around the edges, just heat, my fingers protected with a hot pad. I keep getting a wavy edge at the corner.

Looked at the vacuum table also. You are right now I have lots of questions. Do you know if some of these materials are like kydex?

Thanks again.

I clamp a couple pieces of wood on the front and back, lined up with where you want the corner. Heat with a heat gun until it will bend easily, not too much or will make wrinkles. Press the heated side of the corner against your granite slab or cold counter top and hold for a moment until it cools off.

Tom

Kydex has a 250 F working range. It is possible that as Tom suggests you may be getting it too hot.

Also I believe Tom has the right of it on his method for getting you a better corner.

Good Luck.

Michael

I would say your biggest problem is using a heat gun to heat the kydex........very hard if not impossible to get an even heat. Overheating causes slick spots and shrinking in my experience with kydex. A heat gun is fine for heating small areas for adjustments. Just have to be careful of overheating. I always heat kydex to 300 degrees in an oven for a short time and usually never have a problem. Just my experience and opinion for what it's worth.

I also use wooden molds/bucks. I find it helpful to preheat the molds in my kitchen oven before I put the Kydex in to heat. That way the Kydex doesn't seize up and fight going into sharp corners the instant you put it inside a cold mold. I get a nice piney smell in the kitchen but my molds have gone through many a cycle without significant damage.

Might help.

Michelle