lranger

Concerns About Hardware Quality For Handbags

Hello Everyone,

I'm gearing up to start out in a new direction. Most all my work in the past has been related to either horse gear or rendezvous gear. I've been doing that for more than 15 years so I pretty much have my suppliers that I like. Now though, I want to start making purses and handbags. I've been struggling for a couple of weeks trying to find really good quality hardware and it seems that everyone pretty much has the same stuff. I'm experienced with Tandy's hardware and a lot of it isn't very good, to me, and it seems that all the other suppliers pretty much carry the same kind of stuff. I have finally signed up with Ohio Travel Bag and I'm making up an order. I'm just afraid I'm not going to like the quality.

I'm trying to order a pretty good inventory so I'll have what I need once I start working. Anyone have any suggestions that could help me out before I order?

Keith

OTB stuff is almost all imported asian stuff.

Try http://abbeyengland.com/ if you're looking for good quality hardware. They may not carry every single tiny little thing you need, but what they do have is well made and I think most is made in their own foundry in England.

Also check out Stimpson. I haven't used myself but made in USA since 1852, gotta love that. Sending them a sample to have a couple grommets set for my own quality inspection, will let you guys know (probably won't get back for another week or so).

*Edit: Stimpson is more for grommets, eyelets, plugs, etc. Could be useful but not sure if you were looking for something else.

Edited by jpherold

Buckle guy carries some nice stuff but it's made in China but it's in their own factory.

http://www.buckleguy.com

I like what I've received from them and OTB.

I would like to find some more luxurious hardware though besides brass etc.

Edited by thefanninator

Thanks for your replys and suggestions. I'm still looking at them all.

I'm making a list of all my inventory so I can computerize it and I had to throw some brand new pieces out because it was corroding. I sure would hate to make a nice leather bag and have the hardware looking like crap in a year.

I look for good quality stainless steel if I can find it. Also, as far as I know, if I want it shiny and it isn't SS, then I guess nickel plated brass is it. I don't want chromed steel because it'll rust. I don't like solid brass because it seems to always look like horse tack hardware. What is the stuff made out of when it's listed as Gold? As compared to SB(solid brass), SS(stainless steel), NP(nickel plated).

Again, it seems that all the manufacturers are in China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan, so no matter who you buy it from it's coming from one of those places originally. OK, I know somebody is going to say there are some USA manufacturers, but what I have found is they aren't manufacturing a full line of hardware, mostly just a specialized selection of it.

I guess my question should be, "Where do the top designer bag makers get their hardware?" Do they have their own factory and make their own?

Keith

Keith - I'd like to know that too. Palladium is what some of them use. Have no idea where they get it. They have it made for them.

I found out that Palladium is a metal in the same family of Platinum. Hermes bags come with hardware plated in either gold, palladium, and another which I don't recall. Anyway, apparently their hardware is solid brass and plated with one of these precious metals. No wonder they cost so much. I still haven't found any supplier where a person could buy it, not that I could afford it anyway.

I think I'm going to have to give up on finding better hardware. I've wasted way too much time on the search already.