CustomDoug

W & C Overstock Sale Page A Crock?

Has anyone had a problem ordering leather from Wickett & Craig's "overstock" sale page ? I called today to oder some 8-10oz english bridle from their overstock sale page... the person I talked to (I won't give the name) told me that it wasn't available in the color I wanted (it was showing on the sale page though), only the 10-12oz in that color was available (I figured 8/10 had just sold out and the page hadn't been updated yet). I said ok I'd take a side of the 10/12 then. So then the rep quoted me a price for the 10/12 that was more than what the sale page said. I told the rep of the price on the sales page, they pulled up the page on their end and basically after acting like they hadn't seen the page before - told me I was incorrect (even though I was looking right at it on my monitor). The price wasn't a whole lot more yet it was significant in my world (I'm obviously on a tight budget). Anyway, I got a bad vibe from the general tone of the call and I was also thinking "am I going crazy or reading a different page than this person", so I passed for the time being to get my thoughts together and to triple check. I rechecked the sales page - it was the same. I called back, got a different rep, placed an order for the original 8/10oz item that I was interested in... no problems. But this time I was quoted $2 more than the sales page said it was. I didn't argue about the price difference because it was insignificant. Is this a common problem with W&C or just an off day. My feeling was that it was such a small order that the first rep didn't really care to make the sale. Anyone with similar experience or care to comment?

Chalk it up to an off day, Doug. I usually buy the overstocks, and haven't had a problem.

Good to hear Tim, thanks.

Same here. I get their tooling sides from time to time and haven't had an issue (aside when I didn't understand something correctly). ;)

Same here. I get their tooling sides from time to time and haven't had an issue (aside when I didn't understand something correctly). ;)

Cool... though I don't think I misunderstood anything dunno.gif

Edited by CustomDoug

My order showed up today from W&C for a side of their overstock "SP" leather, it's got it's uses and I'd probably consider ordering it again. I had them divide it in half (backbone to tummy blush.gif) and make one piece 3oz and the other 6oz... which worked out well. My only gripe (and I guess it's kind of petty) is that there was absolutely no invoice or company flyer in the box at all. Obviously the invoice is needed for several reasons... taxes, as reference for future orders, and breakdown for the splitting service and specific shipping cost per weight. I hate to have to call and bother them in requesting one be sent to me when it could have been included (and been done with it). Also, I bring up the "Flyer" because I was asked which one I was looking at when I tried to make my first order (with a incorrect price), supposedly the prices I had were expired. Which brings me to another question or point... there are two places for W&C that show a "overstock" sale, here they are: http://www.wickett-c...verstocked.html AND http://www.wickett-c.../overstock-sale . The first link is the one I was looking at and the prices are exactly the same and the prices are slightly less than what I was charged which is weird. The second link obviously has no details to it, though I think it's their newer website page, which is weird. Anyway, if anyone orders from them, you might want to request a paid invoice and/or sale flyer.

Edited by CustomDoug

I think they mail the invoice to you.

With bigger companies, one part of the company handles finances, and warehousing/shipping (sometimes called fulfillment) is handled by another. Even when I pick up leather, I get the invoice in the mail.

Good folks at W&C, good product, good company.

Art

My order showed up today from W&C for a side of their overstock "SP" leather, it's got it's uses and I'd probably consider ordering it again. I had them divide it in half (backbone to tummy blush.gif) and make one piece 3oz and the other 6oz... which worked out well. My only gripe (and I guess it's kind of petty) is that there was absolutely no invoice or company flyer in the box at all. Obviously the invoice is needed for several reasons... taxes, as reference for future orders, and breakdown for the splitting service and specific shipping cost per weight. I hate to have to call and bother them in requesting one be sent to me when it could have been included (and been done with it). Also, I bring up the "Flyer" because I was asked which one I was looking at when I tried to make my first order (with a incorrect price), supposedly the prices I had were expired. Which brings me to another question or point... there are two places for W&C that show a "overstock" sale, here they are: http://www.wickett-c...verstocked.html AND http://www.wickett-c.../overstock-sale . The first link is the one I was looking at and the prices are exactly the same and the prices are slightly less than what I was charged which is weird. The second link obviously has no details to it, though I think it's their newer website page, which is weird. Anyway, if anyone orders from them, you might want to request a paid invoice and/or sale flyer.

really? You learn something new everyday... I thought that traditionally an invoice would be sent later if the customer had an "account" with the company (I'm sure most of their customers do but I don't). You guys are right though... I just checked and I got the shipping message a couple of days before my credit card was hit. Anyway, I'm pleased with what I received and will probably go back for more.

So was the sale page being incorrect just a fluke? Just wondering.

So was the sale page being incorrect just a fluke? Just wondering.

Well, my new assumption is that the sale page(s) is not maintained (see both links that I posted above). At least it hasn't been for the last few weeks. If you go by the link that actually has prices, they are wrong by a little, at least the leather that I was trying to order was. Of course it could be updated at any time though. dunno.gif

OK thanks. Have you had an opportunity to use any of it?

Doug, I was just in the shop and checked, on all the boxes I've gotten from W&C, the invoice is in a plastic bag glued to the outside of the box. None on yours?

OK thanks. Have you had an opportunity to use any of it?

I've not gotten to it yet, but will soon.. the tan english bridle is what I got. It's not blemish free but plenty of usable leather for sure, and I really dig the color!

Doug, I was just in the shop and checked, on all the boxes I've gotten from W&C, the invoice is in a plastic bag glued to the outside of the box. None on yours?

Thanks for checking Tim.. no, there's nothing on my box except a one dimensional UPS label. I give 'em a call in a couple of days if nothing shows up.

Looks like they've updated the sale page on their newer webpage now..

Has anyone had a problem ordering leather from Wickett & Craig's "overstock" sale page ? I called today to oder some 8-10oz english bridle from their overstock sale page... the person I talked to (I won't give the name) told me that it wasn't available in the color I wanted (it was showing on the sale page though), only the 10-12oz in that color was available (I figured 8/10 had just sold out and the page hadn't been updated yet). I said ok I'd take a side of the 10/12 then. So then the rep quoted me a price for the 10/12 that was more than what the sale page said. I told the rep of the price on the sales page, they pulled up the page on their end and basically after acting like they hadn't seen the page before - told me I was incorrect (even though I was looking right at it on my monitor). The price wasn't a whole lot more yet it was significant in my world (I'm obviously on a tight budget). Anyway, I got a bad vibe from the general tone of the call and I was also thinking "am I going crazy or reading a different page than this person", so I passed for the time being to get my thoughts together and to triple check. I rechecked the sales page - it was the same. I called back, got a different rep, placed an order for the original 8/10oz item that I was interested in... no problems. But this time I was quoted $2 more than the sales page said it was. I didn't argue about the price difference because it was insignificant. Is this a common problem with W&C or just an off day. My feeling was that it was such a small order that the first rep didn't really care to make the sale. Anyone with similar experience or care to comment?

Hi: I thought I"d stick my two cents worth in for what it's worth: I've been dealing with Glen or Matt at W-C for years and haven't had any problems at all. I received a side of black bridle tha t was overed with some kind of tiny spots which ruined the appearance of the belts I was crafting-Matt took it back with no questions and issued a call tag-no cost to me -full credit. There' s something wrong with what happened to you as they usually bend over backwards to satisfy a customer. Is this rep a green pea? Also, they do have about a $2.00 charge on the invoice for insurance. I'd talk to matt or Glen if you didn't get satisfaction.

Now let me tell you my tale of woe: I just bought a new harness stitcher-no names but, it's made in Germany. Guess what? They sent me the machine with no electrical plug!!! they said after the fact that they don't put plugs on any machine. Also, no instruction as to having to have a pnuematic hose connection, no itemized invoice as to the equipment on the machine, and they won't supply the standard throat plate and presser foot-it came with an optional throat plate. Caveat emptor!!!! Tackman