Dhiwangkara

What Leather Did I Use For Make A Rucksack?

hey i'm new in leatherwork, so i have one question. i want to start my first rucksack, but i don't know what type of leather for making a rucksack. can you give me an advice to make a good rucksack and what type of leather for making rucksack.

thank u

-Dhiwangkara

hey i'm new in leatherwork, so i have one question. i want to start my first rucksack, but i don't know what type of leather for making a rucksack. can you give me an advice to make a good rucksack and what type of leather for making rucksack.

thank u

-Dhiwangkara

I have made many rucksacks of upholstery leather and it works fine! Also reindeer leather is fine but may be a bit hard for you to find in your part of the world.

/ Knut

I have made many rucksacks of upholstery leather and it works fine! Also reindeer leather is fine but may be a bit hard for you to find in your part of the world.

/ Knut

hmmm, what if i make my rucksack with vegetable tanned cowhide?is it good or no? btw thanks for your advice :)

hmmm, what if i make my rucksack with vegetable tanned cowhide?is it good or no? btw thanks for your advice :)

Vegtan cowhide ~ 1,5 mm would be fine.

Vegtan cowhide ~ 1,5 mm would be fine.

is it okay if the bag will carry many stuff plus laptop? or there are another leather stronger than vegtan cowhide?

Hello Dhiwangkara

The weak point for your rucksack won't be the leather, it will be the sewing or lacing holding the seams together. If the sack is going to see heavy duty you will want to use a pretty thick thread to keep it all together.

Bob

Hello Dhiwangkara

The weak point for your rucksack won't be the leather, it will be the sewing or lacing holding the seams together. If the sack is going to see heavy duty you will want to use a pretty thick thread to keep it all together.

Bob

ohhh okay so i need a thick leather for the rucksack, and with that it will make the sack able to carry heavy stuff?

I don't think you need think leather. As Oldtimer said, 1.5mm will probably work fine. The weakness in the sack will come from the quality of the sewing job on the seams. You will probably want to take a good look at the sewing forum here on the site for information about sewing leather. I'm certainly not an expert on it. If you plan on hand sewing this, try to get a copy of the book Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. I think you can purchase an electronic copy from the Tandy website.

Bob

I don't think you need think leather. As Oldtimer said, 1.5mm will probably work fine. The weakness in the sack will come from the quality of the sewing job on the seams. You will probably want to take a good look at the sewing forum here on the site for information about sewing leather. I'm certainly not an expert on it. If you plan on hand sewing this, try to get a copy of the book Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. I think you can purchase an electronic copy from the Tandy website.

Bob

oh okay then. so for the weakness point of the sack need a good quality of sewing. thank u so much :)

Edited by immiketoo