Hello Everyone,

Here is a minimalist wallet I made out of Horween Autumn Latigo. I decided to go back to the traditional European way of stitching with a pricking iron and an awl. I find it to be much more enjoyable. However, I suck at it so this wallet and a couple other simple wallets served as practice for me. This is stitched at 8 sti with .6mm tiger thread.

The wallet has two slits for cards as well as an internal divider that makes two more pockets for cards. I really like this design because I put the cards I use a lot (e.g. drivers license, credit cards etc..) in the slits and the rest of my cards in the divider pockets.

Tell me what you like and how I can improve! As always thank you for taking the time to stop by, view, and comment!

Joe

post-50407-0-23142000-1413231458_thumb.j

post-50407-0-81438500-1413231463_thumb.j

post-50407-0-43663000-1413231468_thumb.j

post-50407-0-92816600-1413231472_thumb.j

Looks pretty good to me!

Also, I like the pocket on the inside. I don't think I've seen that before. Quite cool.

Thanks Monica! I stole the idea from Teranishi. His stuff is awesome. I'm still not sold on the tiger thread. I got some Barbours 18/3 I'm going to use next. I think I may just break down and buy Lin cable. But it hurts to spend 50 bucks on a spool.

I wish my stitching looked that bad! :thumbsup:

I wish my stitching looked that bad! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much! I guess I am hard on myself but it's important to me to try to continuously improve.

Nice work.

Stitching looks pretty good. I'd say go smaller on the thread but your .6 tiger thread must just look bigger...maybe the giant photo!

I've been using Lin Cable 432, which is .63mm, so almost the same.

Yeah, give Lin Cable a try. I think you'll like it.

Wallet looks great. I like the inner compartment, looks like it can fit at least 10 cards.

One thing I noticed with a lot of sellers on etsy are that they stitch in 4-5 Stitches per inch. The larger the stitch the more emphasis there is on it, making it look less machine stitched, but still not too noticeable or off putting at the same time. When the wallet is stitched 7SPI and .6mm it gives the wallet a less for lack of a better word "crowded" feel because the thread is thicker than machine stitching and is a lot of stitches considering some wallets are made .4mm thread or smaller and 7 SPI. A good pairing would be .6mm and 5 SPI, giving it a rugged look.

I own fil au chinois thread and to be honest its not worth the money unless you are doing 150 dollar watch bands or sell bags for 500 plus. A machine thread like gutterman, serafil or another brand in the correct thickness would work just as well. The thread wouldn't have any impact to any buyers at that price. High quality rivets would make a stronger impact.

That's pretty slick!

Nice work.

Stitching looks pretty good. I'd say go smaller on the thread but your .6 tiger thread must just look bigger...maybe the giant photo!

I've been using Lin Cable 432, which is .63mm, so almost the same.

Yeah, give Lin Cable a try. I think you'll like it.

Than you very much!

I think because the tiger thread is a flat braided thread it just looks bigger than it really is. That is one of my biggest issues with Tiger Thread. I'm just not sold on how it looks because it lays so flat.

Wallet looks great. I like the inner compartment, looks like it can fit at least 10 cards.

One thing I noticed with a lot of sellers on etsy are that they stitch in 4-5 Stitches per inch. The larger the stitch the more emphasis there is on it, making it look less machine stitched, but still not too noticeable or off putting at the same time. When the wallet is stitched 7SPI and .6mm it gives the wallet a less for lack of a better word "crowded" feel because the thread is thicker than machine stitching and is a lot of stitches considering some wallets are made .4mm thread or smaller and 7 SPI. A good pairing would be .6mm and 5 SPI, giving it a rugged look.

I own fil au chinois thread and to be honest its not worth the money unless you are doing 150 dollar watch bands or sell bags for 500 plus. A machine thread like gutterman, serafil or another brand in the correct thickness would work just as well. The thread wouldn't have any impact to any buyers at that price. High quality rivets would make a stronger impact.

Thanks David! A lot of my wallets prior were stitched at 5 or 6 sti but in order to not have gaping holes you have to use thicker thread. I don't think 5 sti and .6mm thread would look very good personally. I was using 1mm thread at 5 sti and it fit nicely but it made for a very chunky feeling stitch.

I have some 18/3 Barbours linen thread. I'm going to try that out. It is much cheaper (probably by about half) than the Lin Cable.

That's pretty slick!

Thanks Airth!

Looks good to me, Joe and your stitching is just fine. Keep at it.

Here's a quick pic of a credit card wallet that I made and have used daily for about a year. Stitched at 7spi, Dixon pricking iron, 5/18 barbour linen thread. Just thought you would like to see how the thread/spacing works.

post-33768-0-00969300-1413288236_thumb.j

My apologies for the upside-down photo.

Thanks Bob! I appreciate the photo. I'm anxious to see how the 18/3 looks! I wonder if its going to be too small. I guess I'll find out!

Thank you very much! I guess I am hard on myself but it's important to me to try to continuously improve.

I know the feeling, Joe. But it looks like you're well on your way. Stitching looks nice and even.

I just ordered some Tiger thread. Wish I'd have ordered smaller size.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by slipangle

Thanks Bob! I appreciate the photo. I'm anxious to see how the 18/3 looks! I wonder if its going to be too small. I guess I'll find out!

I'm thinking that at 8 spi it would look pretty good.

Be sure to post some pics :)

Bob

I know the feeling, Joe. But it looks like you're well on your way. Stitching looks nice and even.

I just ordered some Tiger thread. Wish I'd have ordered smaller size.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Slipangle. The one thing I have found annoying about Tiger Thread purchasing is it appears that you can only get .6mm in 1000 meter spools. It's freakin 70 bucks from ludlow leather.

I'm thinking that at 8 spi it would look pretty good.

Be sure to post some pics :)

Bob

I'll definitely post it up!

I like the spi/thickness ratio. Don't be so hard on yourself, your stitching looks good. I'll soon be trying out a 6 spi/.8mm tiger thread combo once my JD no. 7 comes in. I think I remember you saying a while ago that you punch all the holes with the awl before stitching; do you still do that or have you switched to punching them in the pony/clam? Keep up the good work

Thanks Slipangle. The one thing I have found annoying about Tiger Thread purchasing is it appears that you can only get .6mm in 1000 meter spools. It's freakin 70 bucks from ludlow leather.

I'll definitely post it up!

Hey Joe,

Don't buy from Ludlow - he's leaving the country and trying to sell his business (at least, so said a post on here in July, I think), and not even answering the phone or e-mails. At least, not mine. I was bummed - he was good to order from. .6 mm is $63 from Abbey England. I bought three spools of thread from them, and it ended up at about the same amount as Ludlow even with international shipping, and it arrived in 2 days.

I like the spi/thickness ratio. Don't be so hard on yourself, your stitching looks good. I'll soon be trying out a 6 spi/.8mm tiger thread combo once my JD no. 7 comes in. I think I remember you saying a while ago that you punch all the holes with the awl before stitching; do you still do that or have you switched to punching them in the pony/clam? Keep up the good work

Thanks for the kind words!

I open all the holes as I go in the pony.

Hey Joe,

Don't buy from Ludlow - he's leaving the country and trying to sell his business (at least, so said a post on here in July, I think), and not even answering the phone or e-mails. At least, not mine. I was bummed - he was good to order from. .6 mm is $63 from Abbey England. I bought three spools of thread from them, and it ended up at about the same amount as Ludlow even with international shipping, and it arrived in 2 days.

Thank you for the heads up! I'll order from Abbey if I go with Tiger Thread.

Like the others - stitching is solid - at that SPI, .6mm thread looks very sturdy. Nice work.

Thank you Jason!

Very nice. I like the design and it looks like you did a really good job on it. I've been wanting to make a bifold wallet for a while. The one that I carry now is sort of a modified business card holder with an id pocket on the outside and on the other outside part there's a pocket to hold my most used debit card. I really like them but the only drawback is that in order to carry cash you have to fold it in half and put it in one fo the pockets inside. Not a big deal but one of these days I'd like to make something more like yours.

Chris

Very nice. I like the design and it looks like you did a really good job on it. I've been wanting to make a bifold wallet for a while. The one that I carry now is sort of a modified business card holder with an id pocket on the outside and on the other outside part there's a pocket to hold my most used debit card. I really like them but the only drawback is that in order to carry cash you have to fold it in half and put it in one fo the pockets inside. Not a big deal but one of these days I'd like to make something more like yours.

Chris

Thanks Chris! There is a nice tutorial/template of a bi-fold wallet on here from ducjecs. Check it out if you want to take a shot at a bi-fold wallet. Or if you want this pattern let me know and maybe I'll get crazy and upload it as a .pdf.

I did a search on here but couldn't find anything posted by ducjecs. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Chris

Joe; +++++++++++++++++++++

I know you say, you try to be better each time,

but any of your examples really do look quite good,

and I think you are as Whipstitch says; Hard on yourself.

Were each our own hardest critics aren't we ? But, I know your great ! ++++++++++++++++++++++ Wild Bill46

Joe; +++++++++++++++++++++

I know you say, you try to be better each time,

but any of your examples really do look quite good,

and I think you are as Whipstitch says; Hard on yourself.

Were each our own hardest critics aren't we ? But, I know your great ! ++++++++++++++++++++++ Wild Bill46

Thanks Bill!