Sign in to follow this  
Chitin

attach a braided or wrapped leather handle to a round piece of wood?

What would be the best way to attach a braided or wrapped leather handle to a round piece of wood? It's pretty thin, so I'm not sure nails are an option, but I need it to hold very firm. Would plain ol' glue do the trick?

For attach a braided leather is better the glue, I think. If you braided with leather all the wood you can make two thin incisions on the wood where the braided is finish and where you begin to braid and press the leather in that points, so perhaps you don't need glue.

For a wrapped, why not to sew the leather with thread (leather, linen or nylon) around the wood? I maked it for knife sheaths and handle knives and is fine; for a sword handle of leather and wood you need glue. Before sew I molded the damp leather in the wood. Sorry, sometimes I am not unable to explain myself better.

I don't know if you need this pict.

paracord_handle_diagram.jpg

post-145-1184750019_thumb.jpg

Wrapped handles work, but unless you can really secure the ends they come apart fairly easily.

I would try a pineapple knot. If they are done correctly the tension of the knot keeps it secure. Just my $0.02

Thanks Candyleather, that picture is actually really useful! I'm going to give that a try.

Does anyone have a good tutorial online for a pineapple knot?

Also, I had the thought that I could try securing it with rawhide wraps on each end of the knot. Would this work? Can rawhide be dyed?

Go to the top of this page and click "leatherworker.net" (not the banner), and you will be taken directly to the home page. Our Sidney Wood graciously allowed us to use his three part tutorial on Pineapple Knots (they are pdfs). Yes, you can dye rawhide, too.

Johanna