CoreyChiev

Cockeyed Purse Stitching

I'm saddle stitching the pattern from Tandy's steampunk round belt bag. I've stitched the front to the gusset and I'm working on stitching the back/top flap to the gusset to complete it. But for some reason when I finish the back panel, it's cockeyed and doesnt want to close properly over the clasp. The front looks like it lines up nicely with the gusset, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why I can't get the back to be even remotely even. I've unstitched it and restitched it 2x already. Can anyone suggest a way for me to stitch it, so that it's not cockeyed? I think the round part is throwing me off.

Where should I start stitching from? Side? Middle near the bottom? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks,

Corey

ea8256a604a377d1d1a5c48f4413b97b.jpg

X2 on the middle. I have had the same problem a couple times. It doesn't seem like much, but a couple of stitches off one way or the other, and things just don't fit. Next time......place the front and back together without the gusset. Now mark the exact center with a small marker or something that can be wiped off....grease marker etc. Find the dead center of your gusset, mark it for front and back and you are away to the races. I have had no problems since I started doing this,and I make a lot of small round belt loop bags. Hope this helps, good luck! Eccho

Thanks to you both! I basically unstitched the whole thing, marked the middle like you said and worked out from there. It came out pretty good! I'm so happy I don't have to fight this little bag any more. :)

I will try to snap a picture so you can see the finished product :)

Did you square the pattern up before you traced it?

Loki purse

I squared it up the first time, but something clearly went wrong. Here's the completed version of the bag.

And here's a picture where you can actually see the nice part, the tooling. (Don't look at my stitching, I'm such a sewing noob.)

Edited by CoreyChiev