Johanna

How did YOU find out about leatherworker.net?

Cross Linking Survey  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find out about this site?

• A Tandy store or manager
    • Internet Search Engine (google, yahoo, msn etc.)
    • Another forum/list/message board or Yahoo list
    • A leather guild, like the PittPounders or Buckeye Leathercrafters Guild
    • A leather store, supplier or dealer
    • A link from another site
    • Newsletter, magazine or other print material
    • Stupid dumb luck
    • I have no idea how I got here!
    • other (please explain)
    • friend or relative told me
  2. 2. How often do you check the website?

• once a month
    • once a week
    • several times a week
    • daily
    • every chance I get
    • so often I should be doing something else right now!
  3. 3. Would you be willing to link to LW on your website?

• yes, send me a banner
    • no, thanks
    • I'll think about it
    • I don't have a website
  4. 4. Does this site help your site to get more Internet traffic?

• No, I don't have a website.
    • No, I don't list my website
    • No, it doesn't affect my traffic
    • Yes, occasionally
    • Yes, regularly
    • I have no idea
    • other (please explain)

:feedback:

Help us improve ourselves. Comments, feedback and criticism is welcome and appreciated.

:thankyou:

Johanna

I found the link on the Knot Heads World Wide site. I was looking for someone to talk to about braiding... there is enough activity on this site to make it really fun, plus there are people who know lots and lots of things so it is also very interesting.

I like to check the site from time to time as I am working... it helps break up the day. Counting horsehair for braiding is amazingly boring... it is good to take a break here. It's a great site that I really enjoy.

I found Leatherworker.net through a link on the Puget Sound Leather Artisan's Co-op (PSLAC) page when I finally renewed my membership there.

I can't even imagine how much trial and error I could have skipped, had I known about this site from the beginning! I'm certain my work would have taken a different direction from the start, and I am seeing it change somewhat already as a result. (I'm actually considering using a swivel knife!)

It's a great site, and I spend much more time here than I should - but it's worth every minute. Thank you so much for all your hard work!

Later this month I'll begin teaching Introduction to Leatherworking classes in my new studio space, and I will be giving every student the Leatherworker.net URL in a goody bag with coupons and other helpful resources : )

~Tammy

I was doing a Google search for leatherwork. Looking for ideas and examples. This is one of the best sites I have ever been a member of.

Thank you LW.NET!!!

To be honest, I have no recollection of how I found this site, all I know is that once I did find it I realized just how great a place it was. It has not only helped me to improve my work, but also has increased the traffic to my website immensely since I've joined and share links with this site.

Of all the places on the net that I have seen and participated over the many years on the net, this is truly the BEST I have ever come across. The people here are so friendly, open with help, and always there with encouraging words to keep you going.

Thanks again Johanna and all the others that put in their time and effort to make this the BEST place to spend time each day.

Ken

Googling around and stumbled upon the link.

Joining here made my work take giant leaps in really short to time and I'm looking forward to up my skills a lot more and hopefully give some back to others.

Thank you Johanna and all the rest that makes this place the best! :clapping:

Tom

i just love this forum...there is no one in australia i can go to for help, i know there are many great leatherworkers here but there is no forum to access their knowledge...thanks everyone....found the forum while searching for information..yeh!!!!

Once apon a time long long ago, Bill Gates and I were talking. He said he had some friends working on a computer that people could actually use at home. But, none of them knew what it would be good for. They were about to dump the whole idea when I made a suggestion. If you go through with this computer project thing, it will lead to being able to connect with other computers. There are a large group of great folks around the world who are just waiting to be able to share ideas and help each other. The next thing I knew, Johanna showed up on my screen and a lot of fine leatherworking folks lived happily ever after.

The end.

Edited by Regis

When I first started this work back up a few months ago, I was searching the internet for anything to spark the old flames...and then I found this place, an unbelievable treasure trove of Wisdom, Skill, and Giving.

Many of you may not realize just how special this Forum is. When I started Leatherwork in the 70s, in Boston, there was very little to help you out in learning, or finding anything. There was no internet, no Google..nada. Whatever you learned was from Tandy, and whatever you might be able to copy. I used to have to buy Telephone books from other Cities, just to look and see if there were any suppliers of leather or hardware there. Then I would mail away for a catalog, or make expensive calls all over just to track down the possibility of something. There would be weeks between snail mail requests and possible information. I became a Sam Spade detective, just to find a clasp. It was a hard snog.

This Forum has some of the best Leatherworkers in the world on it, along with a slew of people about to enter the craft. Ask a question, and get an answer in seconds...To me, it's as amazing as the day they first turned on an electric light.

On the last point I suppose I just need to advertise my web pages more and that should send some traffic there ....

I stumbled onto this site when I was looking for information on sewing machines for leather. I wanted to sew leather straps and handles onto quilted fabric totes. The hubby had made a few leather items and I had done 2 sets of saddle bags and had pretty much put everything into retirement after getting frustrated with my lack of skills and in general not knowing how to do something the "right" way without buying another book that kinda told ya what to do but not really... Now - thanks to this site - the tools have gotten the dust blown off of them - there are tons of ideas floating around this stale brain - all I have to do is put down the coffee cup and back away from the computer... :coffeecomp:

Crystal

I basically did a Google search, looking for a forum where there were lots of people that did leather in all kinds of different ways. I'd been looking for a long time and when I found this place,

and the offer of "fresh" coffee....... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

and doughnuts! :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon: (somebody knew my weakness!)

I found what I was looking for.

I don't post much, got my new camera that won't work with my old 'puter so I'm gonna have to sneak over to the wife's 'puter, but I'm here way too much, read until my eyes cross, and that's only when I'm at work!! :lol::lol::lol: Glad my boss is 4 miles away!

Thanks Johanna! and too many others I can't remember you all!

I was doing some car upholstery and wanted something truly custom for my '65 Mustang fastback. I had an idea that involved what I later learned to be "figure carving". A member on Upholster.com told me about this site, and I've been hanging around ever since.

I haven't done my car interior yet. I still need to learn figure carving a bit, but there's just so many other areas of interest for me in leatherwork. It's almost an obsession.

So many ideas for projects, so little time..... (and money)

I too found this site from Knot Heads World Wide while looking for info on braiding and knot tying. I quickly became addicted and try to check whats new every day. This site has inspired me to start learning to carve leather and shown me how to do some projects that I have been wanting to do for some time. I just learned how to post pictures and will try to get up a couple of projects I'm working on for others to critique.

Thanks for such a great site.

Timothy

I have to be honest, I'm addicted to this site!! There is so much talent and expertise here, I'm constantly checking new posts. Sometimes I think I'm here more than working leather anymore.Definatly my favorite site on the 'net.

This is by far the best leatherworking site I've ever been to! IIRC, I learned about it back when it was new from an invitation from Johanna on a Yahoo! group. . . I really like the fact that it's so open and friendly. . . without silly restrictions or hidden information archives. . . <_<

I think I voted, "Yes, send me a banner," because it was the closest to what I meant: I'm glad to link to this forum on my (extremely outdated) blog and already rigged up an LW banner for it. :D

Thank you, Johanna, and to everyone else who make this site what it is -- a fantastic leatherworking resource!

L'Bum

I was doing a Google search for leatherwork. Looking for ideas and examples. This is one of the best sites I have ever been a member of.

Thank you LW.NET!!!

exactly what he said. thanx for a great site.

I was/am a member of the ######, and had been on there with Johanna and Dave over in Nashville, Tenn., among others, When Leatherworker.net was first started I got a personal email telling me about it and an invitation to check it out. I did and it was one of the best moves I've ever made since I began in my leather working hobby/passion. We have the best of the best leatherworkers in the world as members. In my case anyway, since I'm on SS Disability and don't have the money I used to, this is a big help. I can't really afford to go to classes, and if I could they don't have them any where near me. While pictures and typed explanations may not be the same as having someone there, it sure is a big help. I've really learned alot and can see improvement in my work, and I'm sure that almost everybody else has too. I want to add from me a special thanks to Johanna, Bruce Johnson, ClayB, and Smilin Jim, for you four, especially, have helped me out as no one else ever has, since I started working with leather. Plus a big thanks to everyone one else for the replys to questions and for giving me and others ideas and something to work towards. Again thanks to everyone, Billy P

For several years I scoured the Internet looking for information on leatherwork. What I found was a good sheathmaking forum, a difficult-to-use Yahoo! Group, and a fashionista leather forum. I finally discovered Leatherworker.net via Google in the summer of '06. There weren't many members around back then, fewer than 100, and I remember lurking for a few weeks before joining just because I wasn't sure this forum was going to make it. :) I eventually registered in August and promptly started posting. Things really picked up steam at the beginning of 2007 when lots of our more active members joined, and the growth in 2008 is incredible.

With over 2,100 members from all over the world, there's no question this is the premier leatherworking site in cyberspace. The information I've found here has definitely benefitted my own work, and I've made some friends, too! I'm glad to see so many folks are supporting the site with Contributing Memberships. That'll ensure Leatherworker.net continues to be around for a long time to come.

Alex

Wow, there are leather guilds...awesome!

i met johanna one of the people who dedicate their valuable time to this site in the tandy store in cinn one aftrenoon and came back to my office and joined immediately so far i haven't been able to get anything posted or send any money but that will come in the future thanks for having such a site open for all to learn about leather and thanks to all who are here to share their talent

How did you find out about this site?

I had asked a question to another online guild, and Bruce Johnson and one of the Clays strongly suggested that I try Leatherworker.Net. Really glad I did.

How often do you check the website?

several times a week

Would you be willing to link to LW on your website?

I've already put a glowing recommendation and banners on my blog for folks to come try out the forum. I hope you approve of the way I used the logo.

Does this site help your site to get more Internet traffic

It probably would if I were brave enough to announce my blog to the group. I figure that when I get more of my planned tutorials uploaded to it, and announce it to the whole forum, more folks from here will come and peruse it. I don't care if anyone buys anything from my blog; I do it for fun and to help others learn with pictures and step-by-step instructions for things I don't see done on other's sites or blogs.