Jimbob

Bobbin Thread To Loose...

OK, I have this real nice stone old Singer 211-155...in gud working order....never had a problem with it....now I run 138 on top ( mostly what I run for big biker wallets and such...) and often also 138 in the bottom....sometimes 92 in the bottom...for some reason I had to do red and found a cone of flame red in 69....so I run 138 on top and 69 bottom....works fine on thicker material...like 2 times 4 oz or so...yesterday I done a small thin wallet and noticed a birds nest on the bottom....check top tension...all the way loose to make sure knots in the middle of leather...then I checked the bottom tension...boy this thing was plum loose...I mean no resistance...tried to tighten it more...nada....all the way tight...switch to thicker material....all is fine, the knots in the middle and no birds nest...noticed when I go faster, it is getting better,,,,,when I use 138 in bobbin then all is well no matter what thickness I do...just need to adjust my top a bit here and there...often do 207 on top and 138 in bottom bobbin...works great on my bags.

So my question is...is the 69 to small for this machine in bottom...? or do we have a problem here....

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks...

aloha

james

You have a dis-formed bobbin case tension spring. Remove it, bend it inward slightly and reinstall it.

You have a dis-formed bobbin case tension spring. Remove it, bend it inward slightly and reinstall it.

tnx Wiz...

Been thinking about that....stuck small screw driver in there and tried to push blade of spring inwards....no gud,,,,do you recomend removing the spring only ( tight space ) or removing hole bobbin case...?

Tnx

James

Jim, if you can bend the spring between two small screwdriver blades, do so. Otherwise, get a magnet and unscrew the spring from the case. Bend the business end in a tad, then reinstall it. The inward angle should allow you to apply some tension to the thinner thread.

This is what happens to most bobbin springs after prolonged use with thick thread. They no longer apply enough tension to thinner thread.