Johanna

Oldest Leather Shoe Found

The oldest example of a leather shoe has been discovered by archaeologists in a cave in Armenia.

At 5,500 years old, the well preserved cow-hide shoe pre-dates Stonehenge by 400 years and the Pyramids of Giza by 1,000 years.

It was made of a single piece of leather and was shaped to fit the wearer's foot, the researchers say.

BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm

I saw this article this morning Johanna, it even had the shoe laces, and some grass stuffing. Preserved by layers of sheep dung. Approximately a size 7 ladies.....lol I had to laugh at that.jj

Dave

Hope the BBC doesn't mind- here is the picture:

_48038432_009485601-1.jpg

i doubt they will since it is on yahoo now

http://news.yahoo.co...us_sci_old_shoe

Interesting! I read in the article that the same style shoe was made for a long time and several places... funny how some things just persist....

Fascinating! We found some 1000-year-old Viking boots when I worked on a dig in York thirty years ago. I thought they were old, but compared to this, they were youngsters!

LOL I thought it was kind of interesting that the scholars didn't know why grass was in the shoe. "Odor-eaters!"

Preserved by layers of sheep dung. Approximately a size 7 ladies.....lol I had to laugh at that.jj

Dave

Looks like maybe someone stepped in something and lost their shoe! :rolleyes:

I was wondering where I had lost that.......

ahhhh, some of Ray's early work, I'm sure. Glad he upgraded to a machine, because his lacing is abysmal.

ahhhh, some of Ray's early work, I'm sure. Glad he upgraded to a machine, because his lacing is abysmal.

:gathering::cheers::rofl::rofl:

Oooooooooo........... Really , this is amazing

This is awesome! My favorite pair of shoes (the Desert Trek) looks way too similar to this "Oldest Leather Shoe."

post-16368-007121600 1311398903_thumb.jp

-Ryan

Neat shoes they beat out Otzi's 5,300 year old shoes by a bit. But aren't as old as the 10,000 year old shoes found in Oregon although perhaps slippers don't count at shoes. But they are a handy easy to do shoe. I used to keep a pair of deerhide ones in my pack for sneaking around the swamps of Georgia or wearing in camp at night.

I like mine better... not as old ,post-1906-080666100 1320438335_thumb.jpg But similar..

I missed this first time around... Fascinating story.

...and Mike, my lacing has definitely improved but my machine sewing is still better!

As for you, cousin... we all know you are plenty old enough to have made the originals, but those ole' packrat Mocs (isn't that what you call 'em) you make these days look a lot more comfortable than your early ones LMAO

Ray.

:red_bandana::cheers: How you feeling cuz...........