Sign in to follow this  
particle

How to take orders

I've gotten pretty good response from my first couple of holsters that I've posted for sale, and want to make more. I probably have a couple dozen buyers just from posting photos on the 1911 message board, and I'm having a hard time keeping track of all of the interested parties. Some responded directly in the thread, while others private messaged me, and yet a couple more clever folks found my email address in my profile and contacted me directly via email.

I'd like to create a web page to take orders. My thinking is that I'll build a submission form where the user can enter their name, email, then select what item they want from a drop-down list. Once they hit submit, I'll receive an email (probably setup a special "orders@myholstercompany.com" email address to keep my inbox organized. Then, I simply build each order from oldest to newest emails. Once the order is complete, I send the buyer a PayPal invoice for credit card payment, and ship it once payment is received.

OR, I could incorporate a PayPal shopping cart, which wouldn't be too complicated since I won't initially be offering very many products - keeping it slim to start with.

What do you pro's do? How do you handle orders for stuff you don't have an inventory of?

Here is what has worked well for me. I have a web-site which basically functions as a catalog, displaying and describing items and options with prices. Customers can quickly tell if something that I make is suitable for their purposes, then contact me via the "contact" page, and I get an e-mail. I can address any questions or concerns, and estimate production time. They may respond with an order if they wish to.

This helps me avoid spending hours every day responding to endless questions, sending photos, etc. Customers who respond are already interested in buying a specific item or items.

I accept payments by mail, and also through PayPal (secure web-site permitting credit card payments).

I was apprehensive about a web-site at first, worried that it could result in more orders than I could produce in a timely manner. By providing each potential customer with an estimated delivery date prior to ordering, that problem is avoided.

By the way, I used Yahoo for my web-site. Easy to use site building tools, and very reasonable web-hosting costs. My site is now receiving about 100 hits per week, and I receive about 40 new inquiries per week. I am producing about 30 to 35 items per week to fill about 25 orders per week.

I offer free delivery to any US address, a one-year warranty on materials and workmanship, and any standard production (not custom) item may be returned in unused condition for refund. Buying anything on-line can make many people uneasy, so these features help set the customer's mind at ease.

Good luck.

Thanks Lobo - I'm just now seeing this response. I had forgotten all about this thread. I just ordered a Boss, so I can cut out the 4 hours of hand stitching time for each holster!

I like your approach to selling items, and appreciate your thoughtful response.

I'm curious how many people actually make a living out of building holsters. I'd love to, but wasn't sure how realistic it was. But, seeing how everyone is so back-ordered, it doesn't seem too unrealistic...