Schno

Geared For Wisdom

Ooops! Re-post!

My girlfriend is a fan of steampunk and owls... thus:

post-6744-0-66708400-1410819295_thumb.jp

Edited by Schno

Looks good man. My wife loves steampunk stuff as well.

Chris

Really nice!

that's awesome!!

Eddie

Very cool. Love the owl design!

I don't care for the discordant note caused by the gearing behind the owl and inside the circle not matching the gearing outside the circle.

Also, as someone with an engineering background, I believe your depiction of gears leaves much to be desired.

Conceptually though, this is a nice alternative to other carving styles, and is an attractive item,and I am sure your GF will be proud of it

That's pretty awesome looking, but I agree that the shiny gears on the owl's breast are kind of jarring. Is there a way you can add a patina to them?

Yeah there is a place or two where the gears don't quite mesh, but hey this is an artistic rendering not an engineering drawing.

I like your bag a lot. I find the backgrounding to be particularly attractive. Do you mind if I ask which tool you used?

Thanks,

Michelle

Handsome, forbidding look on that owl! I love the bag.

Most people won't care or even notice, but I agree with WyomingSlick about the gears. There' something about doing stuff accurately that adds a splash of interest, or detracts if it isn't there. Kind of like those people who draw horses but can't remember which way their leg joints bend. They end up with a magnificent horse with broken legs. :-)

Minor point, but maybe it can help with future designs.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

The intention for the owl inset was that it was a different 'scene' from the background gears. In retrospect, I should have left the gears out of it. It wouldn't have hurt to have some clean space in there, as so much of the project is very busy anyway.

For the record (and in my defense), my engineering expertise lies in telephony software, which these days requires no knowledge of how gears should work! :dunno:

Michelle: Thanks! The background was done with a standard Tandy fine backgrounding tool (A 104-2).