Sign in to follow this  
JD50

Hammer Tie-Down On Western Style Holster

I'm in the process of learning to make Western style holsters. I am looking for different ways to make & attach the hammer tie-down & thong. Most all pictures that I find of holsters that have a hammer tie-down don't show the holster from the side so I can't see how it's attached. I did find some great pictures & instructions on Will Ghormley's website for making one with a braided thong that ends with some kind of round knot (Turks Head? I don't know...trying to braid makes my head spin) but I'm not quite ready to try that. In case anyone is interested here is a link: http://www.willghormley-maker.com/MakingHOGRig3.html. I have Dusty Johnsons's video on holsters but he doesn't include how to do this.

Can anyone provide pictures, patterns, tutorials, etc for other methods?

Thanks,

JD

The method I use is simply to put a couple of holes in the front of the holster and thread your thong through.You can use an oblong punch or use a round punch and do twwo holes side by side and cutout the center.Dave

gatorholster-1.jpg

I use a method similar to John Bianchi's method. I also only use latigo leather for the hammer thong.

If the holster is lined, it goes between the two pieces of leather on roughly the angle you see in this drawing, but if not lined, . . . like the drawing.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-051546800 1298843938_thumb.jpg

I really like the look of that braided thong one. Its a 4 strand round braid (made from 2 strands looped through the actual tie down leather). Braid it down about 8 or 9 inches. I won't go into how to braid 4 round (I'm not good at typing directions) but there are some good tutorials on u tube or check out the braiding section. Its not tough to do 4 and looks good. The knot at the end is called a terminal knot - that's what I call it anyways. Its not a TH. The instructions on that website were pretty good for that. Either way good luck!

Just punch 2 small holes in the front of the holster one about the other with about 3/8 ths between them. Then just thread your loop through them so the top loop and bottom ends are on the outside.

I'm in the process of learning to make Western style holsters. I am looking for different ways to make & attach the hammer tie-down & thong. Most all pictures that I find of holsters that have a hammer tie-down don't show the holster from the side so I can't see how it's attached. I did find some great pictures & instructions on Will Ghormley's website for making one with a braided thong that ends with some kind of round knot (Turks Head? I don't know...trying to braid makes my head spin) but I'm not quite ready to try that. In case anyone is interested here is a link: http://www.willghorm...ingHOGRig3.html. I have Dusty Johnsons's video on holsters but he doesn't include how to do this.

Thanks,

JD

one above the other......sorry for the misstype.

I'm in the process of learning to make Western style holsters. I am looking for different ways to make & attach the hammer tie-down & thong. Most all pictures that I find of holsters that have a hammer tie-down don't show the holster from the side so I can't see how it's attached. I did find some great pictures & instructions on Will Ghormley's website for making one with a braided thong that ends with some kind of round knot (Turks Head? I don't know...trying to braid makes my head spin) but I'm not quite ready to try that. In case anyone is interested here is a link: http://www.willghorm...ingHOGRig3.html. I have Dusty Johnsons's video on holsters but he doesn't include how to do this.

Thanks,

JD