Sixer

Setting Snaps...

These little things are driving me nuts! Im using Line 24, Line 20, Segma, and Glove snaps for various projects. Right now I just have the set-all kit that comes with the little cheap anvils and setting tools. I'm using a good solid surface, but can't set a good snap to save my life.

Is there an easier way to set snaps that doesn't cost a couple hundred dollars?

Hi ???

Pres-N-Snap

$110

Works

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Snap_Fastener_Tools/Press-N-Snap_%28Aluminum%29_for_Installing_Fastener/index.html

Art

These little things are driving me nuts! Im using Line 24, Line 20, Segma, and Glove snaps for various projects. Right now I just have the set-all kit that comes with the little cheap anvils and setting tools. I'm using a good solid surface, but can't set a good snap to save my life.

what oz is your leather

Hi ???

Pres-N-Snap

$110

Works

http://www.rochfords...ener/index.html

Art

what oz is your leather

Thanks for the link Art! I could probably swing $110 for something like that, but I'll need to sell a few more holsters first :)

Mountain Man - I'm using anything from 7/8 oz 3/4 oz Herman Oak.

Edited by Sixer

CS Osborne makes a snap setter that I use. It's simple and pretty hard not to get them set. # 230-SET. I bought mine from The Hide House in San Dimas. It was around $13.00. Good luck.

I use the press that Tandy sells (about $120 if you are an elite member, course then you have to buy a set of dies for the Line 20 Snaps, the Line 24 snaps, Rivets, etc, they ain't cheap), while I know you said you didn't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks, if you do a lot of these it's worth the money. They produce absolutely perfect connections every time and the resulting "curls" where the post is rolled back is perfect and looks very professional. I highly recommend them.

Ken

post-6362-051815100 1295033389_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if anyone tried the vice grip pliers from ohiotravelbag? (T-1239). It looks like they work similar to the press n snap.

Its pretty cheap, costs around 50 bucks including the line 24 dies. Im thinking of ordering one

Edited by lazybum

I am using the Tandy kit you mentioned and have no problems currently. (is it the one which the anvil is flat, with four concave holes in it?http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/8105-00.aspx?feature=Product_2&kw=setter+snap )

May I ask, beside a good surface, did you insert a piece of solid metal directly beneath the snap, between layers of leather? (assuming you couldn't always get the anvil in)

I always keep a 1"X1" piece of steel handy, which I use beneath rivets or snaps when I am setting them, if the provided anvil does not fit (small coin pouches). And I tend to use the flat rivet more than dome head (line 24)

Also to take note, if the rivet side's head is dome, you would use the concave side of the anvil. If you are using the flat head rivet to set the snap, you should use the flat side of the anvil.

Starting out, I have once mistakenly used the concave anvil to set a flat head rivet and it wouldn't set correctly. I am thinking if that could be your situation.

Edited by reddevil76

I am using the Tandy kit you mentioned and have no problems currently. (is it the one which the anvil is flat, with four concave holes in it?http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/8105-00.aspx?feature=Product_2&kw=setter+snap )

May I ask, beside a good surface, did you insert a piece of solid metal directly beneath the snap, between layers of leather? (assuming you couldn't always get the anvil in)

I always keep a 1"X1" piece of steel handy, which I use beneath rivets or snaps when I am setting them, if the provided anvil does not fit (small coin pouches). And I tend to use the flat rivet more than dome head (line 24)

Also to take note, if the rivet side's head is dome, you would use the concave side of the anvil. If you are using the flat head rivet to set the snap, you should use the flat side of the anvil.

Starting out, I have once mistakenly used the concave anvil to set a flat head rivet and it wouldn't set correctly. I am thinking if that could be your situation.

I, too, use the Tandy kit you mentioned with good success as I only set a few snaps now and then. One other tip I can add is to make sure that you rotate the tool around in a circular motion as you tap the rivet several times. Don't hit it too hard either or you will deform the snap and make it very hard to clasp together. I use a medium weight rawhide mallet and tap fairly lightly. As the others have said, if you plan to set a lot of snaps, the good tools are probably money well spent.

I was buying the line 24 snap kits for $10 each, and here is what I learned:

You can get bags of 100 snaps relatively cheap. Brass is particularly cheap, but looks really nice.

Once you have the snap anvil and setter, setting the snaps by hand is relatively easy with practice.

A couple good, solid hits with a light rubber-headed hammer will do the job.

Line 24 snaps are for 5-7 ounce leather, which is roughly 2 to 2.75mm thick.

If the leather is TOO THICK, the snaps won't form or hold properly.

If the leather is TOO THIN, you will deform the snaps trying to get them together.

Different snaps are meant for different thicknesses of leather.

I use a 1/2-ton hand press (dirt cheap, $40) and the snap die and setter from one of the kits.

It's quicker than the hammer and less noisy for my downstairs neighbor :)

You can measure thickness with a pocket caliper like this one:

Home Depot Store SKU # 501570

(Needs lubrication, I suggest any except WD-40)

Reducing the thickness of leather is called skiving.

The Tandy super skiver requires practice to use, but it's $10.

A round knife can be used to skive, but it requires a LOT of practice and sharpening skills.

(That's where I am at, trying to learn how to use it).

I am still new to this hobby, I hope that my tips help you.

Relly

With time, . . . a little practice, . . . a couple ruined projects, . . . and a small box full of wasted/broken/folded/spindled snaps, rivets, etc, . . . you can learn to use the tools sold at Tandy's.

For line 24 snaps, . . . go to Hobby Lobby (they have it on line also, but you'll have to call their 800 number to order it as it is hard to find in that Pakistani web site of theirs), . . . they sell a blue handled snap setter for around $23.00, . . . it is head and shoulders above the Tandy tool. You'll find it on the wall where they sell their sewing tools (scissors, tapes, needles, rotary cutters, etc).

The SKU number for that tool is 733006. They also have another hand tool in the same price range that is supposed to do smaller snaps, grommets, etc., but I don't own it, . . . cannot comment on it.

May God bless,

Dwight

With time, . . . a little practice, . . . a couple ruined projects, . . . and a small box full of wasted/broken/folded/spindled snaps, rivets, etc, . . . you can learn to use the tools sold at Tandy's.

For line 24 snaps, . . . go to Hobby Lobby (they have it on line also, but you'll have to call their 800 number to order it as it is hard to find in that Pakistani web site of theirs), . . . they sell a blue handled snap setter for around $23.00, . . . it is head and shoulders above the Tandy tool. You'll find it on the wall where they sell their sewing tools (scissors, tapes, needles, rotary cutters, etc).

The SKU number for that tool is 733006. They also have another hand tool in the same price range that is supposed to do smaller snaps, grommets, etc., but I don't own it, . . . cannot comment on it.

May God bless,

Dwight

BUMP

I bought this snap setter last week. The handle bent before the post was split/curled. Took it back and and exchanged it., Same thing.

Went to West Marine and bought a heavy duty one for $34 with 18 heavy duty snap sets and it works perfectly.

Don't waste your time or money at HL.

Tom

BUMP

Went to West Marine and bought a heavy duty one for $34 with 18 heavy duty snap sets and it works perfectly.

Does West Marine have a website? If so would you please post a link for us?

Does West Marine have a website? If so would you please post a link for us?

Here you go. Be sure to copy and paste the entire URL into your browser. I noticed that it's wrapped onto 2 lines here.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17049&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50692&subdeptNum=50698&classNum=50699

Tom

Here you go. Be sure to copy and paste the entire URL into your browser. I noticed that it's wrapped onto 2 lines here.

Tom

Thanks Tom! The link ended up clickable. Funny I notice that several people reviewed this product as worthless and said that it bent after a few uses. I wonder if they are coming from a couple different factories....

The best way thats worked for me .... I got one of those wide, tapered nail punches at home depot for like $7. I just tap and turn it into the post holes, it flares it out well enough for my el cheapo snap setter to finish the job.

The best way thats worked for me .... I got one of those wide, tapered nail punches at home depot for like $7. I just tap and turn it into the post holes, it flares it out well enough for my el cheapo snap setter to finish the job.

I do something similar with Line 20 snaps. I use my Line 24 setter and tap the top of the post lightly to flair it a little and then use the Line 20 setter to finish it

Seems to work for me

Line 24 snaps are for 5-7 ounce leather, which is roughly 2 to 2.75mm thick.

If the leather is TOO THICK, the snaps won't form or hold properly.

If the leather is TOO THIN, you will deform the snaps trying to get them together.

Relly

The line 24 snaps from Tandy, if those are the ones you're talking about, have a 5/16" post and are for 8-10 oz leather. You'll bend the post and offset the snap if you use them on 5-7 oz. I think you meant to say line 20?

I could never get the Tandy snaps to set right, they're just kinda weak and flimsy, but I got the Tandy snap press and it works great. I also got some very good high quality strong snaps and the regular hand tools work just fine with them (unfortunately, the dies with Tandy's press don't work with the new snaps).

Edited by Mike516

Ideally, how much of the snap post do you want above the inside of the snap before you set? Sometimes I seem to have too much, other times I grind down and don't have enough and the snap pulls apart.

I've got setting tools for line 16, 20 and 24 snaps. The problem is, I don't have the instruction sheet (and pictures) that came with the kit. Does anyone have a set of instructions identifying these tools (from the Tandy "Snap Setter Kit") that could be scanned and posted? I can find pictures of the snap assemblies, but not side-by-side comparisons of the tools to help in picking the right tool. I'm afraid I'm not using the right tools for the right jobs, and since I lost the instruction flyer, I've been having some difficulties setting snaps.

This one ?

BwtEzjJ.jpg?1