Can you get your finger under the leather and onto the trigger enough to make the hammer/striker fall?

While that is probably the main question one could also check to see if the gun falls free when the holster is inverted-gun down toward floor. The gun should NOT fall free.

Then there is the other kind of safe: with the holster on the users belt in the proper position, can the gun be readily drawn?

From my position these are question you must answer yourself. Do you have doubts? It looks like a serviceable holster as far as one can tell from a photographs.

Really just looking for a thumbs up or thumbs down..................but that is an outstanding way to judge the holster, Very helpful,,, thank you

Thumbs up from here. I wouldn't want the trigger area boned in any more or you might get an ugly surprise when you re-holster, but as far as coverage goes, I think that's plenty.

Mike

I like jus a little more where possible.. not so much for trigger as for balance. Looks like that would work, though

When I bone a striker fired pistol, . . . I never go as deep in the trigger guard as you did.

That looks like an XD which also has a grip safety, . . . but the Glocks and others don't, . . . and anything in there, including an errant piece of the holster, . . . can trip the trigger, . . . and that will ruin the whole day.

But, . . . that's just my policy, . . . if the buyer wants something else, . . . I send him somewhere else.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm aware the OP wants an 'up' or 'down'. From photographs no holsters 'safety' can be determined. There is no sure way to determine the actual depth of your boning-in inside the trigger guard from the photographs. He doesn't show the inside for inspection. I could give an opinion but "they are like certain types of oriface-everyone's got one". I've seen people safely carry with far less holster and I seen folk carry unsafely with far more holster. Safety as a 'whole' concept/thought process/activity does not reside entirely in the holster; I doubt more than a small fraction of 'safety' resides 'in the holster'. You, as the maker, must make the safety decision on your ware yourself. Logically and legally the person using the holster is responsible for it's serviceability and safe use.

I've got a safe full of Xds and Glocks all of which have that two piece trigger. And I think am sure every one needs the center part fully depressed before the trigger will depress. On the subject, all my M&Ps including the Shields have variants on the two piece trigger (and manual thumb safety on the slide) to prevent AD.

There is considerable lee-way for boning-in the trigger guard; and one would need to bone-in the trigger itself to reach the center bar on the first group of handguns. That's a lot of acute angles to accommodate with a material possessing a natural 'spring'. As for the M&Ps there is that other safety that should be engaged! Of course as a maker one should insure the serviceability of the 'inside' of the holster along with all other makers responsibilities.

Carrying a loaded handgun is not something trivial. As a holster maker I like to see a potential customer handle the gun (safely) before I take an order--hard to do over the internet. So I lifted portions of both Galco and Bianchi's disclaimer documents included with their wares. Jamming a gun into a damaged, or obstructed holster is the responsibility of the person handling the gun. Carrying a loaded gun is, likewise first last and foremost, the responsibility of the person handling the gun. My responsibilities end with a serviceable product. Weather or not this protects me has yet to be determined.

I dont post a lot, but I read a lot here. ANd it it really amazes me both in what I learn and then in what I realize that I do not know........I would never have considered the boning in of the trigger guard until reading the comments here. I don't mind not knowing things, but not knowing things like the boning in comments on the trigger guards.........thats scary ....really. thanks fro the comments

I'll be the first to say it was a freak accident, . . . one in a million at least, . . . but it happened.

An elderly guy had a striker fired pistol, . . . and a badly worn leather holster. He sat down in his car (passenger side) and somewhere in the wiggling around getting seated and getting the seat belt all cinched up, . . . a piece of the worn holster slipped into the trigger guard and fired his weapon for him, . . . while he was seated.

IIRC, . . . he was lightly wounded, . . . hole in the seat, . . . hole in the bottom of the car.

Literally hundreds of thousands of those weapons are used each day around the world without incident, . . . but there is the opportunity, . . . much worse than say a Python (revolver) or a 1911 (pistol) as other examples.

That is why I am extra careful around striker fired weapons when I make a holster for one.

May God bless,

Dwight

Go back to the original question: As long as the trigger itself is covered, there is no danger in having a gap over the trigger guard -- unless it is large enough that a foreign object could engage he trigger.

OTOH, boning around the trigger guard, or flimsy leather around the trigger guard, can be dangerous.

tk

I think if you look at the redundant safeties the XD has I think it would be. To test this, empty the gun and mags, put in dummy rounds. Insert the firearm in the holster try to get it to fire if you do I was wrong if it doesn't then it is indeed safe from an ad. But may not be from someone grabbing it.

Insure the holster has friction with the firearm so ir grips it and the firearm doesn't fall out in any position and the firearm doesn't move in the holster during normal body movements even if they are over extended.

Edited by Blackey Cole

Well, I decided to remake the holster. It is bout half done now. The real reason for me was, I would rather know without a doubt than to wonder if the holter was safe. It was a little closer than I like it ont he trigger guard. that being said the real value in this lesson to me is in regards to the boning in o f the trigger guard

Thanks all.....big help

Well, I decided to remake the holster. It is bout half done now. The real reason for me was, I would rather know without a doubt than to wonder if the holter was safe. It was a little closer than I like it ont he trigger guard. that being said the real value in this lesson to me is in regards to the boning in o f the trigger guard

Thanks all.....big help

I was just about to say. If you have any doubt in your mind than NO its not safe. I was in the same situation a little while ago on a personal holster. After it was sitting on the bench for a week or so I was so uncomfortable with the thought of wearing it or having it around that I cut it up and thre it away. Always go with your gut.

Thanks all.....big help

Good call, I would be too timid to use the original holster.

Its one of my first holsters that I am doing since I started advertising. Some one asked me if there was a way to just make it work. I said that is not the way I want to start of my reputation and I could not live with myself if some thing happened as a result of my holster because I was to lazy to redo it. I am really doing most holsters for 40 bucks, not a lot of profit but what I want is experience and a local reputation.

I was thinking about if this was a clients holster it needed to be redone if it was safe you don't want bad work to get out That said if it was a prototype for you then you could use it as a short term solution until you create a better pattern that is that questionable around the trigger.

Its one of my first holsters that I am doing since I started advertising. Some one asked me if there was a way to just make it work. I said that is not the way I want to start of my reputation and I could not live with myself if some thing happened as a result of my holster because I was to lazy to redo it. I am really doing most holsters for 40 bucks, not a lot of profit but what I want is experience and a local reputation.

Based on that post right there, I'd buy from you. And because of the responses to your original post, I will not ever bone inside the trigger guard now. It may look pretty, but safety is no accident. If someone yammers at you about 'retention', offer to put in a retention screw.

All else aside, good looking holster!

Thumbs up.. Love the single Star stamp. I'll concur with the rest about boning the trigger guard so close. Most in.. just be CAREFUL..

Well ....here is the "redo"

Any coments or critique is welcome.

After making this I redid the pattern to have a better slope from the stitch line towards the gun.

The holster is for a 3.8 .......this is a 4.5

post-23581-0-81406900-1412079359_thumb.j

post-23581-0-33039500-1412079373_thumb.j

I like how you handled the sweat guard. The mag release is nicely exposed.

This is a left-handed IWB, correct? A better location for the clip is on the main body of the holster. In it's current location, it's going to interfere with proper grip. And you may find that it has a tendency to tilt forward because the clip is offset.

You need to work at making your boning a little sharper. It not only looks better, but it makes re-holstering "crisper." Your stitch line around the trigger guard could be a little tighter, but this is one of the harder things to get a feel for.

tk

THanks.

I like the clip centered on the slide but I think people like the fact that they can adjust it instead. I tell them a big gun can walk a little in this set up. This one will be worn appendix and the clip will actually wind up over the trigger guard when worn.

Crisper??? as in more definition?

The stitch line is an elusive thing. I actually had get violent with this one to get it in. but it seems like the best fitting ones are the ones that I thought would never make it in the holster. I cant imagine getting the gun in with a tighter stitch line, but that makes me wonder if I am missing something.

this was the first holster sold since I started a facebook page that targets local people. Really have built several for my guns and just want more practice and people know that.

thanks again.

Perfectly safe until the user tries to holster the pistol with his finger inside the trigger guard.

Some say there's no cure for stupid. I'm not so sure about that.

My $0.02 worth.

A Threepersons holster with the trigger totally exposed is "safe" if used correctly. I'm with Lobo on this one guys. Your holster construction won't stop somebody's bad habits/poor firearm handling nor will it fix them.

There's my 2 cents, it's worth just what it cost you :cowboy:

But isn't that true of any enclosed trigger design?

tk

Perfectly safe until the user tries to holster the pistol with his finger inside the trigger guard.

Some say there's no cure for stupid. I'm not so sure about that.

My $0.02 worth.