Sign in to follow this  
Firemandan

Newbie Looking For Tools

My name is Dan Walsh. I am fairly new to the leather working community and new to this website. I am hoping that people on here might be able to help me out. Being a beginner, I do not have very many tools. I am hoping that people on here might be able to help me out. Like I said I am a beginner so I am not really sure exactly what I will need, or what is good to start with. Please let me know if you can help, or have anything for sale.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan;

Nothing wrong with starting with a packaged leathercraft kit from Tandy. $30 - $60 will get you a kit that will get you started well into the basics. Even better if you can visit a local store and sign up for some lessons.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/home.aspx

My name is Dan Walsh. I am fairly new to the leather working community and new to this website. I am hoping that people on here might be able to help me out. Being a beginner, I do not have very many tools. I am hoping that people on here might be able to help me out. Like I said I am a beginner so I am not really sure exactly what I will need, or what is good to start with. Please let me know if you can help, or have anything for sale.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Russ. I had bought a starter kit a few months ago. Still trying to figure out just how to use it. How would you sharpen the blade on a swivel knife efficiently?

I have a whetstone that I use for all my knives (kitchen, etc) that I bought at Lowe's or somewhere. But, you don't have to sharpen the swivel knife very often. Rather, you need to strop it often. I use the flesh side of some leather with a lot of jeweler's rouge on it. Stropping needs to be done A LOT.

Thanks Russ. I had bought a starter kit a few months ago. Still trying to figure out just how to use it. How would you sharpen the blade on a swivel knife efficiently?

Thanks,

Dan

i just posted a well made 12 pc set of hole punches, they could use a good cleaning but I'm only asking 50 bucks shipped now. covers everything from 3/4" to 1/8"

lemme know if u need em

thanks