Frank

Carving Templates

Hey All,

I am getting ready for a show in April. I just finished 32 different single action holsters for this one. The problem I am running in to, is coming up with different period correct 1800's style carvings for them. As far as drawing my own, I'm pretty handicapped in that area. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM me if you have a PDF format and I'll get you my email address otherwise if you have a hard copy (paper) pattern, I'll pay for postage and give you my address. Thanks in advance.

Frank

While no expert by any stretch most of what I have read and heard is that 1800's hoslters were very utilitarian and decor was very rudimentary on most. There were of course quite a few ornate ones as well, pride and status etc. Just simple borders on some I am sure would please your customers. Interesting side note, its seems when American Indians got a hold of such things they went all out on embellishments at least thats what I have seen in museums and such. I know this is of minimal help just needed to prattle on a bit.:rofl:

Actually a great number of the 1800's style holsters were carved with simple floral patterns and leaves. Those specifically are the style patterns I am looking for. There generally wasn't much beveling or backgrounding done, if at all. I just don't have the knack to draw my own from looking at photos, or being able to carve them from memory.

The Packing Iron book does have a lot of good examples, but nothing that I can work with on my own. I have 3-4 general floral patterns I use and the rest are all border tooled. I was just searching for some more patterns to throw in the mix.

Purdy gear sells holsters and belts, her site has examples of the style she makes with a description of the carving style she uses.

Her site is: www.purdygear.com

SkipJ

I have been to her site before and she makes some very nice gear. I just feel like a total ass trying to copy someone's tooling style off of their website, this is the reason for me asking for any patterns. I feel better when people give me patterns to use, that way it is insinuated that I am allowed to reproduce said pattern. Plus my re-creation of patterns for the visual aspect does not work so well, again this is why I asked for a PDF or paper pattern of this style tooling.

1) get a copy of Packing Iron and others

2) Get some tracing paper

3) Scan patterns that you like - you will need to adjust for size of course

4) Draw the outline of your holster pattern onto a piece of tracing paper

5) Using the scans trace them into the outline - it takes some moving and adjusting and usually re-scanning, but it will get you there - it's how I make copies of original patterns

For one period pattern being offered see here: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,31235.0.html

As Frank noted most gunleather from the 1840's on was usually decorated, often highly decorated, whether stamped or carved. Again take a look at books such as Packing Iron or Cowboys and Trappings of the Old West - decoration, although of a different style than tody, was generally far from rudimentary, much being of very good quality.

As to Indian work - yep many went all out, but a lot of the highly deorated stuff is late rez period and was often worn by Wild West Show entertainers

Chuck,

Thanks very much for the assistance. I do have the packing iron book here and have utilized it like no other. I wasn't sure if the scanning would actually work. I'm not much of a computer guy here so just walking me through it helped a bit. I will make sure to do that tomorrow. I have friends that are pretty good with that stuff.

I'm a big fan of the 1800's style carvings. To me they are very ornate and yet very simple. I really think simplicity is the best. Not that Sheridan style carving isn't nice, but it's definitely not me or what I would add to a holster personally. There are a lot of people out there that are very good at it, but I'm not one of them but I think that's because I never cared for the style enough to attempt it. Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

Frank

You might want to check out some of the patterns Will Ghormley has available on his website. He's got quite a few holster patterns in his Old West Collection and they come with carving patterns.

Thanks for the info Clay. I do have some of his holster and carving patterns. I was just hoping to gain some more.

Frank