Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

DK BR Belt and gerber sheath

Finally got around to finishing a few things.

The belt is double layered with 8oz outside and about 3oz inside. Dyed with feibings DK brown, oiled, one coat of sno-seal, finally a couple of thin coats of neatlac. Hand stitched using some waxed nylon.

This is for a buddy of mine, the last belt I made him ended up being the wrong size so that got passed to another friend lol.

The belt leather had a natural kind of tiger striping to it which actually looks pretty cool. I was pretty happy with the way it kind of made it seem like a little more then just a brown belt.

I am making another keeper though, for some reason the top layer of leather wrinkled on it, dont know why. It was like that before the finishes were applied so its not the finishes. Its allright those are the easy part to make.

The gerber sheath is for me at work, quick job. Hand stitched, wet molded. Its not overly nice looking but does the job nicely. I vinegarooned this guy but did it after wet molding because I wasnt thinking so there were several spots the vine didnt penetrate so went back over with some usmc black.

Oh and just ignore the ring around the rivet, grabbed the wrong setter, good thing its for me and not someone else.

belt pic1.jpg

belt pic2.jpg

belt pic3.jpg

gerber pic2.jpg

gerber pic1.jpg

belt sheath 004.JPG

post-5781-125695039142_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125695040105_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125695041364_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125695042737_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125695044016_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125695045704_thumb.jpg

Finally got around to finishing a few things.

The belt is double layered with 8oz outside and about 3oz inside. Dyed with feibings DK brown, oiled, one coat of sno-seal, finally a couple of thin coats of neatlac. Hand stitched using some waxed nylon.

This is for a buddy of mine, the last belt I made him ended up being the wrong size so that got passed to another friend lol.

The belt leather had a natural kind of tiger striping to it which actually looks pretty cool. I was pretty happy with the way it kind of made it seem like a little more then just a brown belt.

I am making another keeper though, for some reason the top layer of leather wrinkled on it, dont know why. It was like that before the finishes were applied so its not the finishes. Its allright those are the easy part to make.

The gerber sheath is for me at work, quick job. Hand stitched, wet molded. Its not overly nice looking but does the job nicely. I vinegarooned this guy but did it after wet molding because I wasnt thinking so there were several spots the vine didnt penetrate so went back over with some usmc black.

Oh and just ignore the ring around the rivet, grabbed the wrong setter, good thing its for me and not someone else.

Very nice belt!

Tony.

you hand stitched that?!!!!!

Thanks guys, yeah Pete. I dont have a machine yet (maybe next year) so Ive gotten use to hand stitching these guys.

I admit I cheat a little, once the two layers are glued together and edges cut clean I groove front and back then prepunch the holes with my awl, then its off to the pony. That way I can just sit and stitch. I also use probably about two yard sections of thread to keep it shorter and manageable. I wanna say it takes about an hour and a half to stitch a belt like that (about 37" overall length).

If your worrying about alittle ring around that rivet, I think I'll just keep my pics to myself. Your bein too picky, and it's on the back side

I think it all looks great, love those belt edges. Do you have a problem with your edges frayin with age?

omg great belt and sheath the stitching is GREAT hope to get that good someday

David

Two beauiful pieces bro! Very clean and the stitching is tight and even! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Storm

Thanks a bunch for the compliments everyone.

Teamroper I am not sure how long the edges will last, Ive been wearing my belt I made for about 3 months and my ex has had her belt for quiet some time and no fraying. Maybe after time it will guess I gotta wait and see.

The reason i'm asking is i'm still lookin for the technique that works mine doesn't! They will lay and look good but won't last.

They start to fray after a short period of time.

The reason i'm asking is i'm still lookin for the technique that works mine doesn't! They will lay and look good but won't last.

They start to fray after a short period of time.

Have you read thru this thread yet http://leatherworker...showtopic=16609

Lots of good info.

I cant do it exactly as they do because I dont have a garage or regular workshop so no power tools except my dremel which doesnt work to great for edges.

I basically shape the edge with a edger.

Dye the edge (I do this after I have dyed the project)

I now have a canvas block that I wet with water and glycerine soap and rub this on the edge, this is mainly to make the edge damp and get the soap on. Sometimes Ill rub the soap straight onto the leather ever so lightly.

I take my wood boning tool/edge burnisher and work the edge to get the shape right and get everything to lay down. This should make the edge shiny and give it the shape I need.

Then I take straight bees wax and rub this into the edge, just get the wax on basically.

Now I take a piece of canvas (levis work also) and work the edges, as you do the canvas gets pretty hot and melts the wax into the edge.

Thats about it, then go ahead and finish it like normal. I usually make sure to get a layer of tankote or atom wax on the edge also helps give it a nice sheen when all done since sometimes the wax can get a little dull depending on how much you got on there. Seems to hold pretty good.

Oh and make sure to glue all the way to the edge when doing double layers. I had a issue of the burnished edges splitting where the leather joined. Really annoying, now I make sure I glue them to the edge when ever I am sewing something together. This way it acts like one piece of leather.

Heres a quick pick of my burnishing tools in all there glory lol.

burnishing tools 010.JPG

post-5781-125696025101_thumb.jpg

Edited by MADMAX22

Thanks Madmax, need to get some wax and try that. I appreciate your reply and think it will help to finish

a shellbelt and holster I'm workin on.