Sign in to follow this  
samcolt45

Books Regarding Holster Making, Carving/tooling

After being away from leatherworking for more than 20 years, I've decided to get back into it as a form of sanity maintenance. (At present, the jury is still dilberating as to whether I made the right decision.)

As a firearm journalist by profession, my primary interest in leatherworking is making holsters. In addition, part of my interest stems from my disability. Being wheelchair bound, most of the strong-side holsters I've reviewed, don't suit someone like me who's contantly seated.

Since there don't seem to be any leatherworking classes in my area, I've had to rely primarily on how-to books and Internet forums, tutorials/videos for guidence. Despite a lack of strength and fine-motor skills due to both my disability and arthitus, I'm having fun and, in the end I suspose that's all that matters

With the long-but-necessary back story out of the way, I'm curious to know if there are any really good books you can recommend on either the subject of holster making or carving/tooling? I say "really good," because I've come across some books, such as Al Stoehlman's "How To Make Holsters" lacking with regard to detailed explanation.

I'm also been entertaining the idea of trying my hand at tooling. Given my unique set of circumstances, however, I'm uncertain about it. Nonetheless, my hope is that there are some others out there, who, while they may or no share a physical disability, may also rely on similar instruction venue for their instruction, enough to recommend some must-have books on making holsters—including a introduction to carving/tooling so I can undertand the process, in order to determine if it's something I'd like to pursue.

Thanks,

Bob Boyd

Hello Bob,

Sorry you didn't get any replies sooner, and thanks for all the background info. Hopefully you're still "there", so my comments might be of use.

I too got into leatherworking because of a desire to make gunleather...but I still have yet to make my first holster. I've gotten distracted by other things like pen cases, billfolds, etc.

I definitely recommend Stohlman's holster book. It will show you some essential concepts and techniques like pattern making. You can extrapolate his ideas and adapt them to your ideas. One thing to be aware of: The book is big. Not heavy or thick, just large, something like 11" x 17". To fit it in my bookcase, I keep it folded in half.

As for tooling...I'm on that quest too. One book I will probably get is Stohlman's "Tech Tips". There are also some tutorials on YouTube if you search around, and for specific questions once you've gotten started, this forum is of course an excellent resource.

Good luck with your leatherworking endeavors.

Mitch

I have a video available on making old time western holster which includes info on tooling - stamping and carving, etc. While specifically aimed at the old west style holsters the basics are the same no matter what -

http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Holsters-Chuck-Burrows-DVD/dp/B002961O7Q

Once purchased you can email me with any questions as well....