Sign in to follow this  
Colman

Neetsfoot oil and Acrylics

I have a piece that I finished carving, I am wanting to reoil (lightly) and also paint part of it with acrylic paint.

Will the acrylics adhere to the reoiled leather or do I need to not oil this area?

Any help would be appreciated before I proceed.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

That's a good question! Not too long ago, I assumed that acrylics could not be applied to oil dye, but was proven wrong. Since that does work after all, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with oil. I would go easy on the oil, though. Since oil wanders, it won't do much good to not apply it to the area to be painted. What is the piece you are doing? It may be better to apply Lexol and leave the oil out of it. I personally do not oil anything that I paint. I just don't trust it. I don't know if this is helpful or not!

Kathy

Hi Johnny,

That's a good question! Not too long ago, I assumed that acrylics could not be applied to oil dye, but was proven wrong. Since that does work after all, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with oil. I would go easy on the oil, though. Since oil wanders, it won't do much good to not apply it to the area to be painted. What is the piece you are doing? It may be better to apply Lexol and leave the oil out of it. I personally do not oil anything that I paint. I just don't trust it. I don't know if this is helpful or not!

Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks for your insight on the acrylics, this is the first time I have tried to use them and can use all the insight I can get.

The project is my take on a sheridan style clutch purse with a bird in the center. Was looking only to paint the bird and the remaining is to be finished in the sheridan style finish.

I have painted a test piece that was not oiled and the results seem to be good, I am thinking of doing a test piece with oil to compare the results.

Johnny

Kathy,

Thanks for your insight on the acrylics, this is the first time I have tried to use them and can use all the insight I can get.

The project is my take on a sheridan style clutch purse with a bird in the center. Was looking only to paint the bird and the remaining is to be finished in the sheridan style finish.

I have painted a test piece that was not oiled and the results seem to be good, I am thinking of doing a test piece with oil to compare the results.

Johnny

Johnny, I don't even oil personal items such as clutch purses. The oils from your hands while using it seem to be enough to keep it good. Things might be different in your climate. What acrylics are you using? I like Delta Ceramcoat the best. Be sure to water them down!

Kathy