Dwight

Harbor Freight Walking Foot Sewing Machine

I need some hopefully expert advice: Harbor Freight Tool Co. advertises a pretty good looking walking foot leather sewing machine for I believe $599, with an optional table for another couple hundred bucks.

I was just wondering if someone out there has already bought one of them, . . . and of course, . . . is it a good machine.

I rarely sew anything over 3/8" and if I do, . . . I have a Tippmann Boss that is awesome in the heavy stuff.

Thanks for your assistance, may God bless,

Dwight

I'm curious about it too.

I went to www.harborfreight.com and found the sewing machine in question. It almost looks like an Artisan 618-1 D2 but not quite right. The problem is that without a close up it is hard to tell what the construction looks like. The table and spool sets look similar across most of the manufactures. I did notice that there was no foot pedal for raising the sewing foot. The item number is 92966-7VGA. It is listed as a Chicago Electric Power Tool if that helps.

Most HB stuff is very low quality knockoffs of other well known tools, decent for what they are but don't expect it to last very long. Kind of like disposable tools, at least this has been my experience with the stuff they sell. Side by side comparison visually and the things that are "not quite right" will stick out like a sore thumb. Better to go with an artisan 3000 or something comperable. Spend the money up front or spend it again later I have heard it said. Again this is just my opinion, and am in no way an expert or affiliated with artisan. Have a Neels #5 myself.

Hi Bill,

The more expensive one looks like a 797 and the cheaper one looks like a 111 clone. The 111 has needle feed and the 797 has drop feed. Both of these machines are setup to run at speeds that are too high for any leatherwork excepting maybe garment work. I can't be sure of the quality, I don't know anyone using either one.

Art

I went to www.harborfreight.com and found the sewing machine in question. It almost looks like an Artisan 618-1 D2 but not quite right. The problem is that without a close up it is hard to tell what the construction looks like. The table and spool sets look similar across most of the manufactures. I did notice that there was no foot pedal for raising the sewing foot. The item number is 92966-7VGA. It is listed as a Chicago Electric Power Tool if that helps.

Art,

Thanks. I hope all of this helps Dwight. Having done laced projects for decades, I finally made the jump into sewing this last fall. After reading the other thread on sewing machines, I don't want to start it all over again. It was like asking a biker which motorcycle is best, yes I ride. My suggestion to Dwight is to make a list of the things he wants to use the machine for, e.g. types of projects (flat, curved, bag), the types and weight of leather to sew through (the total thickness), the types of threads desired, the type of stitch and the thread weights. Also need to consider the table and sitting position (I prefer to sit do to some leg problems). Add to that dealer location and service availability. If you can go see one, then do so. And most important, don't be in a hurry.

That is the process I used. The machine I choose met most, not all my decision points. It work for me and I am happy, what else matters.

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to all who responded to my question. I still haven't made the decision to buy it, . . . as I still have a few holsters to make/sell before I'll have the cash.

I did get a commitment from the HF salesman, . . . it's mine for up to 30 days, . . . any time before that I can bring it back for a full refund, . . . no questions asked.

It would only be used for at most 5 holsters or belts or some combination thereof per week, . . . and at 63, . . . I really doubt that I will wear it out.

(No, . . . I haven't quite gotten to the point that I don't buy green bananas due to my age, . . . but I really do look at other purchases)

Again, . . . many thanks, . . . if you hear of anyone who actually has one, . . . sure would like to hear from their experiences.

May God bless,

Dwight

when i did an internet search on that brand of tool i got lots of sites that talked about what garbage they are...basically like someone else said...throwaway stuff use it a few times and its done...it was all about theirhand tools andsuch..couldnt find anything about the sewing machine.

Both sewing machines carried by Harbor Freight are made by Feiyue, a popular Chinese company. They are sold under various names, including Chicago Electric, Yamata, and possibly Sailrite. At $299 (3914) and $599 (92966), they seem like a great deal.

Most power tools sold by HF are junk, but there are a few rare treasures. You can get replacement parts from one of the above mentioned dealers.

I am considering the 3914 for stitching leather motorcycle seat covers, but since both of these are clutch machines, I'm not sure I could handle either. I may buy a Singer CG-590 instead for about the same price.