DS STRAPS

Exotic Documentation?

Hello, I have to ask this cause it seems to come up on other forums I am on (watch forums). Is there documentation I should have when dealing with exotic hides, such as elephant, hippo, etc...? I get asked if I have proper documentation for the hides or items being sold, am I missing something? I buy from a US based tannery I asumed that they were responsible for haveing the proper documentation.

Are they wanting proof that the hide is what you say it is, or proof that the hide was obtained legally? I buy most of my stuff from Springfield Leather Company and know recently the had to refuse a bag of exotics to a friend of mine in Canada because of the differing laws. I think what they are asking about is CITES certificates, but that may just apply to elephants.....I'm not sure. If you're dealing with a reputable company they should have all the documentation and your word should be good enough along with a way for them to contact the company if they choose. I have never had anyone ask me about my exotics I use but I would have no trouble telling a customer that the company I deal with obtains exotics legally. I hope this helps. Cheryl

Thank you, This guy is in Austrailia and mentioned if I had documentation for being harvested leagally. I just wanted to make sure that I was not breaking any laws by not having some type of certification. Thanks again

Check the laws on exporting to Australia. They can be sticklers with a lot of stuff. Also, the USPS website has a lot of information on what can and can't be shipped to different locations. The other possible outcome is that you "fudge" the custom document and it gets through to him, then he gets called on it later. So just be sure you're doing all you can to take care of your customer's interests.

Thank you, I shipped out today. I get a few comments from people from the states also so thought I needed to purchase some kind of exotic license

I have seen posts on the forum before from folks in Australia and apparently they have some very stringent rules regarding the importation of exotic hides. In some cases I believe hides that we in the U.S. are allowed to have are strictly forbidden under Australian regulations. I don't remember what the specific animals were. I have purchased elephant hides that still have a sheet of paperwork attached with the CITES numbers, same for alligator. We are very lucky in the U.S. apparently when it comes to choices of exotic hides we can have or make products from.

My (european) seller always offers me an invoice + a copy of CITES certificates. In theory all products made of exotic leathers regulated by CITES should be sold with CITES information - the reason is simple leather's path from a tannery to a consumer should be clear in case of any control.

For anyone one else that may need to ship to Australia in the future here is our government page that outlines what you have to do http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1055

and http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/wildlife-trade-permits-and-forms#need and specific CITES information http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/internationally-endangered-plants-and-animals-cites/cites-species

Make sure that both you and your customers are aware of the requirements as this is taken very seriously by the authorities here.

where do you buy your stuff from europe if I may ask?

Im looking for a seller from europe...

thanks!

My (european) seller always offers me an invoice + a copy of CITES certificates. In theory all products made of exotic leathers regulated by CITES should be sold with CITES information - the reason is simple leather's path from a tannery to a consumer should be clear in case of any control.