Hi, I was wondering if there's any good way of getting a metallic finish to leather. I do a lot of steampunk stuff and I'd love to be able to dye a piece bronze rather than have to paint it with acrylics.

Tandy has a gold and silver water stain that might work for you

Hello Raven,

This is the second time I will have attempted to respond. No idea why site will not post. Perhaps this time it will work.

Try mixing the Pro Stain from Tandy, ie; Pearl, Silver, Gold, etc; with Fiebings or Angelus spirit dye for some wild metallic colors. Experiment and record the amounts you use of each, if you intend to duplicate.

It works and allowed to dry/cure properly, they can be buffed, and finished with balm or some of the Angelus shene products.

Email if any questions and we can discuss further.

God Bless.

Ray

Oh excellent, thanks Ray and Wishful. I use the Cobblestone dyes ( http://www.leatherfinishingproducts.com.au/index.php/cobblestone/ ), do you know if they would mix ok with the Pro stain? They do mix with water or spirit so I'm hopeful. I'm wondering now what I can add to the gold to give me a bronze :)