Sign in to follow this  
Kowboyboots

OMG I got a new toy

Skil Cutter

I have been eying this for some time but put off ordering it thinking my local Home Depot would get it soon. They haven' so I bought it for my self.

I can't believe how it cuts through my upholstery leather an the hair on hide.

So slick!

I haven't tried it on any tooling leather but darn this is going to save me so much time & money on blades. It self sharpens constantly.

Put it on your Christmas list, hohoho.

Kathy

I checked out the link and it look pretty cool. Does it only do straight lines? Do you use a ruler or some sort of guide next to it to go straight? I'd love to hear more about it. I've always been a flunkie with the head knife, and I dread cutting things out of large hides/shoulders. What do you put underneath when you're cutting?

Looks like a power rotary cutter. Here it is for

49 bucks plus free shipping.Shame I am done

with battery power tools. Specially when the

battery is not replaceable.Although this looks

like a good tool.Nope just can not talk myself

into. I hate it when I can not talk myself into

a new tool.Darn my luck.

http://www.skilshop.com/?ref=googawe&kw=%7Bkeyword%7D

WINDY

I just got it today, i have little scraps laying all over the floor trying it out on everything. I originally wanted it because it cuts sign board an sign making is my real job. It wasn't until about a week ago I got to thinking it may cut leather.

I have 3, low profile 4' x 8' tables with a thick sheet of corrugated plastic on them. The boards aren't self healing but they take a lot of abuse an are cheap to replace plus I can turn them over once. Also they wipe up very nice and glue can just be rolled off.

The Skil cutter has a bottom on it to help guide it, today I just drew lines & followed them.

I will keep you posted as I use it for other thing.

I cut out a bread box set of hair on hide today an it was perfect.

I love it. My other favorite tools are my Dremel Duo.

Windy,

Lithium Ion battery power is far better than the old NiCad system.

The batteries don't remember the charge.

You can plug them in and top up the charge anytime, without having to run it down.

Kathy,

I'm getting one of these!

Cheers,

Karl

Quick update,

For our UK members who might like one of these, they are sold the 'Bosch' brand over here. The model is the 'XEO' and they can be had for about 20 Quid on Ebay!

Cheers,

Karl

We have a couple pairs of the Skil power scissors and they will cut through light leather rather well, my wife uses them mainly for fabric. BUT, I see a new item on my Christmas list!!! Thanks for posting the link!!

Update!

It cuts so smooth.

One question earlier was if you could follow a straight line. Yes you can guide it along a ruler, but you can cut the smoothest corner I have ever cut.

Another thing i found is if you pay attention to how you start & start under the hair you can cut the whole piece with out cutting the hair. This is if you cut with the back side up.

I leave a lot of the edges with long hair, looks good on the stuff I make.

I love it even more today.

FYI, Amazon has it for $34.95.

I'd sure like to know if it would handle veg tan leather and how thick?

Randy

How stupid am I, I purchased the Bosh brand item, to cut thin MDF for a o/nite bag I am making for " She who must be obeyed". I never gave cutting leather a thought, Thanks heaps. Darryl

Hi

I bought this tool the other day,it does cut through leather like butter,but im having a problem keeping straight lines,there doesnt seem to be any eye line on the tool to follow,or maybe ive missed something,how can any one follow a line.

Help

Syd

I finally got a chance to try mine today (got it for Christmas) and WOW! I'm in love! I actually used it to chop up some shoe sole leather for a girl I know who's getting into leatherwork (some practice scraps for her). It went through it just fine!