Django57

Sewing Leather To Cotton ?

Hi i want to attach two leather straps with buckles to a old Barbour jacket either side. I've lost some weight and the jacket is far too big for me , the idea is to pull the sides and back in round the waist at the rear. I was thinking of hand sewing them , is there anything i need to consider, i'm new at sewing and only know the saddle stitch technique, just wondered if i need to reinforce with a piece of leather on the inside . I don't have any photos to explain what i mean so i apologize if i haven't explained myself well .

Without the picture is really something hard to understand. If the strap is not just for decoration you should sew a thin piece of leather from inside it. You can do well with saddle stitching. It should perhaps also be a double seam to have a larger area for the stress. I hope this helps. Otherwise you'd have to make a sketch.

Is the strap to cinch it in a little around the middle, like a belt back on a waistcoat? Won't need anything too elaborate or duty. Two light 3/4" straps and a suitable buckle will do fine. Habicht males a good point about adding small leather patches inside.

Rember that wax cotton won't glue if you don't strip the affected area with solvent first.

Thanks matt , the idea was to attach (if you can imagine) a watch strap set up about 6' below the arm pit on either side , stitch each bit and then i could adjust as necessary but the more i think about it with only having harness needles and a diamond awl might go for Chicago studs and screw the leather to the coat , what do you think ?

Sorry Habicht just saw your post i've searched for a photo to explain but couldn't find one of the rear this is a link but i don't know if it will work

http://www.stuartslondon.com/coats-jackets-c23/jackets-c25/oliver-spencer-military-byron-olive-jacket-osj181a-p5058

Edited by Django57

I'm no expert, but also in the version with the screw I would reinforce the cotton because the fabric is the weakest point and slightly frayed.

Django, that's about what I thought; bit like this MLW104Br_Brown_buckle_leather_waistcoat_back_closeup.jpg but a little higher and wider. What's wrong with harness needles and a diamond awl? I tend to be suspicious of hardware 'dodges' to avoid stitching, like chicago screws and rivets; it usually ends up with a weaker result and apart from speed has few advantages over doing it 'properly'.

That's sort of the idea , regarding the Diamond Awl i am worried that it will slice the cotton fabric and result in tearing the cotton .

Perhaps you should think about using a regular ball point stitching needle like the type you get from Tandy Leather. A diamond type needle is a "cutting point" and will cut the material. A "ball point" needle will push the fibers aside and not cut them. The saddle stitch should work fine for what you plan on doing.

Brian

Round needle to stitch and use re-enforcement with leather from the back....double seems on stress points and ur done....

Cheers for all the great advise.