MicahP

Hello All - Micah From Texas

Hello all, my name is Micah and I'm a 32 years old guy, married with 3 dogs and 2 cats...and a live-in Mother-in-law and her dog. I live in a 1978 trailer (until my wife graduates) on 2 acres which looks out on my fellow rural neighbors, who have cows, horses, longhorns, donkeys and a massive buffalo that my wife and I have named "fluff-a-low". I only recently started working with leather about a week ago. I have always adored the smell and rustic, durable charm of it but never worked with it. I live in Weatherford, Texas but work as a computer tech in Fort Worth (I hate computers but it's easy). I love to cook, shoot guns/bows, I have a decent amount of experience in the traditional arts and find leather work very similar to both drawing and sculpture, two of my favorite activities. My goal for leather tooling is not specific but I'd like to make some motorcycle seats, maybe vest or gun belt. I look forward to my future in leather and happy to have found the vast source of knowledge in this site.

Welcome to the best leather working site on the net. You are correct, leather work is an art, just like fine art painting, or sculptures.

It is the act of creating and quite the addiction. I will look forward to seeing your work.

Welcome! Yes, there's an abundance of leather work knowledge on this site.

So you've got 4 dog 2 cats and your mother in-law living with you in a trailer? Im taking you're speaking of a double wide trailer.

Welcome Micah! Seems that we have quite a few similarities. I'm 34, lived in a rural 1972 trailer near Ft Worth, the neighbors acted like donkies, worked in IT in Ft Worth and Crowley, and love to shoot guns/bows and cook as well. As judged by my activity since the beginning of this year, you're going to find a wealth of knowledge and helpful experience on this site.

LeatherCollector: Thanks!

@ leatherwytch : Thanks, my next project is a quiver, might put a Native American style thunderbird on it.

@ Thor: Yes but is the 25x60 looking ones, 3/2 no garage, space is limited as you can imagine but we're happy...can't wait to have a concrete floor though.

@ Calvus...small world! My parents live in just north of Crowley in the Carson Ranch estates, behind the school bus Depot on Crowley Rd. I currently work at Lockheed as an IT contractor. Do you know of any other place besides Tandy to get leather and leather supplies around our area?

I know that area well. I lived about a mile up the road in the early 2000's when I worked for FWISD and then CISD later. Unfortunately, I don't know an answer to your question. I live in another state and have been since I started leather work last year. We don't even have a Tandy in our state and the closest store is over 3.5 hours away. All of my shopping is done online unless I'm in another state where I know of a brick and mortar store.

Quivers, awesome. I have four of those to make. Come into chat sometime and we will all yak it up as usual.

Welcome to the forum, Micah! Funny, I have a brother named Micah, and while he and his wife live in Plano now, the rest of my family live just outside of Weatherford.

Hello Micah and welcome to the forum.