Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

An Enjoyable Mistake...

I recently traded some work for a nice Model 28 Highway Patrolman. This rig for a 4" Colt Python was the last of our deal, as I was going along dying a few different belts edges I accidentally dipped my dauber in the black dye, and by the time I caught it, it was to late. After emailing the customer with updated photos I asked if he wanted me to precede as is or start over. He not only told me to go on with it, but to finish it as I see fit. I used a black antique and am quite happy with the results of my mistake :)

-Robert

Python_Rig_1_Resized.jpg

Python_Rig_2_Resized.jpg

Python_Rig_3_Resized.jpg

post-19170-046729700 1340499321_thumb.jp

post-19170-057711400 1340499324_thumb.jp

post-19170-028108600 1340499328_thumb.jp

Edited by Eaglestroker

That does look very nice! Rich color. Lucky for you!

Another beautility piece , very nice work

Nice !

Guns for holsters bartering...where do we sign up?

Jake

From the old Grump; Adapt, persevere and overcome --- Damned good looking rig. Mike

That does look very nice! Rich color. Lucky for you!

Thank you, definitely my new favorite color.

Another beautility piece , very nice work

Thank you :)

That was some great work and the black finish sets it off. I may try that technique.

Del

Del,

Thanks for the compliments. If it makes a difference I use the Gel formula fiebings antique, applied with shearling and wiped off with a rag.

-Robert

Really really nice!

Thanks Shooter!

Nice !

Guns for holsters bartering...where do we sign up?

Jake

Hey Jake, just have to kick the right stones. I do a lot of local trading. I joke with friends that leatherworking is the best thing to ever happen to my gun addiction.

-Robert

I love it.

Thank you!

From the old Grump; Adapt, persevere and overcome --- Damned good looking rig. Mike

Thank you Mike, glad it worked out for everyone as this belt would most certainly not fit me.

-Robert

Gorgeous! That is beautiful. So you applied a black antique over the top of the mahogany color? Sorry...didnt follow where the black antique was applied. I see the black edges

Gorgeous! That is beautiful. So you applied a black antique over the top of the mahogany color? Sorry...didnt follow where the black antique was applied. I see the black edges

Matt, it's fiebings professional lt brown, cut with alcohol. 50/50 give or take 5-25% :)

Do everything as normal. When ready for final finish, apply light coat of something as a resist (people argue about what, I use the same thing I use as a finish). Wipe on the black antique, don't let it sit for long or it will bleed through your resist, and wipe it off. Reapply as need it will be obvious what needs touching up if you have tooled it.

When all this is done LEAVE IT ALONE, I do this last thing so it will sit at least 8 hours before I touch it again. If you rush the final finish the antique will rub up and onto your brush if you don't apply by airbrush, I use a sponge brush with the finish cut very thin.

May be right, may be wrong, but whatever it is it works for me. I attached a picture of the belt where you can see a 'line' where the antique is and isn't applied. I also attached one in mahogany done the same way, but with what I call a 'lick' of black all the way to the stitching. I don't care for mahogany as I find the color overbearing, some folks do though.

-Robert

post-19170-058051600 1340567155_thumb.jp

post-19170-004010300 1340567284_thumb.jp

Edited by Eaglestroker

I like it, very classy look.