greekgod

No One Knows What A Bloody Litho Stone Is! Help

HI guys,

I am in Perth, Australia and I went yesterday to the industrial area looking for a Litho stone. ..well NO one had it or knew what it is!!

The leather working Manual recommends to buy a litho stone. So can anyone help me here. .What exactly am I looking for?

I did a bit of research and found out that its litho lime stone... so I asked the stone shops which specialize in limestone about it, but no luck.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers

HI guys,

I am in Perth, Australia and I went yesterday to the industrial area looking for a Litho stone. ..well NO one had it or knew what it is!!

The leather working Manual recommends to buy a litho stone. So can anyone help me here. .What exactly am I looking for?

I did a bit of research and found out that its litho lime stone... so I asked the stone shops which specialize in limestone about it, but no luck.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers

A litho stone is used in the printing industry and is an industrial product not used much any more. I must assume that the book you're reading was recommending this to do stamping and carving on. What you would need is a Marble, Granite or Quartz Stone about 2" thick and either 12X12 (very common) 12X24 or what ever size you think you can accommodate on your work bench. They are available from any leather craft supplier, Tandy, Springfield Leather, etc. You can also get them from companies that do granite counter tops (the sink cut out is perfect) or head stone makers (mistakes and cut offs).

Hope that helps,

Chief

The Chief is always right!!

Thank you very much Chief... I like to follow traditions and was trying to do as the book says. And you are right (I read about them being used in the printing business and in fact very very few still do.. very nice video on youtueb as well about it) they dont make them anymore.

I'll head to the local stone makers.. Do Marble. Granite or Quarts have any advantages over one another?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Chief is right about litho stones, it's a very dense form of limestone for printing, and rarely used anymore. They were mostly quarried from quarries in Romania, and are considerably more dense than normal limestone. They were then marked with a grease pencil then etched to produce a slightly raised surface to hold ink for printing. They are often found on ebay, usually with some cool etchings on them (which you don't want), but they are very heavy to ship. If you were to find one new at all it would be at a good art supply store.

Granite and quartz are harder than marble, but any of them will work fine provided that they are flat and finished. If you have a custom counter-top place nearby, they may be willing to part with a sink cutout or other waste piece for little to no money. I got my marble from a house that was being remodeled ... Just picked it up from the trash heap. It does what I need and at exactly the right price!

Hope that helps

Bill

That's a bit of history there Bill.. Much appreciate the info and direction mate. They do look really cool though and seem really light for what they look.

Thanks very much.

Greekgod, I don't know if it is available as inexpensively as in the US, but I purchased what's called a granite surface plate. This is a large, heavy block of polished granite that machinists use for a flat surface referene to machine flat surface on parts to a high tolerance. Mine is 3" thick and cost me $30 delivered.

Might be an option for you.

Michelle

Greekgod, I don't know if it is available as inexpensively as in the US, but I purchased what's called a granite surface plate. This is a large, heavy block of polished granite that machinists use for a flat surface referene to machine flat surface on parts to a high tolerance. Mine is 3" thick and cost me $30 delivered.

Might be an option for you.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle .. I am now looking for the exact same thing .... I just spoke to the hospital so will sell my left kidney and buy the granite plate here in Australia. Things can get a little expensive here ;) ...